Mike S.

Default Yorkcraft vs Jet 6" Jointer

I plan on ordering a jointer tomorrow. I looked at the Delta 6" X series and
read lots of complaints against it and have settled on the Yorkcraft YC6 or
the Jet 6CSX. I already have googled and read the reviews on both but still
undecided. Anyone here have either one of these jointers and can list pros
and cons. I have been using the small Delta benchtop and it's time to
replace it.
Thanks for all imput.

--
Mike S.
http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mike S. wrote:
I plan on ordering a jointer tomorrow. I looked at the Delta 6" X series and
read lots of complaints against it and have settled on the Yorkcraft YC6 or
the Jet 6CSX. I already have googled and read the reviews on both but still
undecided. Anyone here have either one of these jointers and can list pros
and cons. I have been using the small Delta benchtop and it's time to
replace it.

Quit screwing around and get one that you're not likely to outgrow: an 8"
jointer. I originally looked at both the Yorkcraft and the Delta and ended up
buying a North State from a local dealer. It's a Delta clone from Taiwan... one
of the older Delta's back when the table adjustments were done with wheels
instead of rods. Very nice. You can land a small airplane on the table.

I started out with a 4" Craftsman and went to a 6" Delta benchtop jointer. I
decided to go ahead and bite the bullet. I winced paying for it (the North
State) but I smile every time I turn it on.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Nick Bozovich

Mike -
Ditto on Mortimer's comments - I have the Jet 6CSX. Don't get me wrong -
it's an outstanding jointer, and you'd be happy with it for a while. But, I
found more and more that I need an 8" for various projects. I'm looking at
the Yorkcraft or the Bridgewood (especially since I live about 5 miles from
Wilke - no shipping!) - spend a little more and get one that will serve all
your needs for a long time. Also, get the longest bed you can afford also.
You won't regret it.

Nick B

"Mike S." wrote in message
. ..
I plan on ordering a jointer tomorrow. I looked at the Delta 6" X series
and read lots of complaints against it and have settled on the Yorkcraft
YC6 or the Jet 6CSX. I already have googled and read the reviews on both
but still undecided. Anyone here have either one of these jointers and can
list pros and cons. I have been using the small Delta benchtop and it's
time to replace it.
Thanks for all imput.

--
Mike S.
http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

Highspeed

I own the Jet JJ6CSX and I love it. I looked at many different jointers
including the Delta, Craftex (Canadian), King (Canadian), and I decided that
the Jet was best. I have no complaints, not even size. The fence
adjustment is great, the dust collection rocks, it was dead flat and true to
square right out of the box, and the small foot print (base) is just what I
needed in my small shop. If you would like to put it on a mobile base make
sure you make the base larger and use 3/4" ply under it. I used 2 pieces to
make it 1.5" thick. If I had to buy another 6" jointer tomorrow I would buy
the Jet again. Everyone says that an 8" is the way to go but I think my 6"
Jet is just perfect.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
.com...
Mike S. wrote:
[...]

Greg O

"Mike S." wrote in message
. ..
I plan on ordering a jointer tomorrow. I looked at the Delta 6" X series
and read lots of complaints against it and have settled on the Yorkcraft
YC6 or the Jet 6CSX. I already have googled and read the reviews on both
but still undecided. Anyone here have either one of these jointers and can
list pros and cons. I have been using the small Delta benchtop and it's
time to replace it.
Thanks for all imput.

--
Mike S.
http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

I have the Jet, good unit, flat and true out of the box.
Greg

Mike S.

Thanks for all your imput, I just ordered the Jet jointer.

--
Mike S.

Dave W

I also replaced a 4 inch delta jointer with a Yorkcraft and have been
totally pleased. Mine is the 8 inch. The blades needed a little adjusting
but once that was done, the wood comes out incredibly flat. Customer
service was great. Warning: Before adjusting blades, dose the retaining
bolts with thinner to remove the shipping goo. I ruined a new wrench trying
to move the bolts with out cleaning them first. Mine is a great tool;
properly adjusted it out shines the most expensive on the market.

wayne

I see that this comment is late as you have already
ordered the Jet. I bought the Yorkwood 6" last year and am
very please with it. Have had no problems and everythng was good right
out of the box. Plus it was on sale for $299.00

Wayne

Patrick Conroy

"Mike S." wrote in news:Yh0Le.945$bp5.444
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

Thanks for all your imput, I just ordered the Jet jointer.

I have the Jet and *hate it*. It's awful! You'll regret your decision!!!

just kidding!

It's a great 6" jointer.
Like others have said - ready to rock out'a the box.

FWIW - there's a disposable knife cutterhead version available (or
available soon). Saw it mentioned in American Wooddorker. Looks like
Jet's planning on an upgrade path for those of us with the older 6" model.
Patriarch

Patrick Conroy wrote in
news
"Mike S." wrote in news:Yh0Le.945$bp5.444
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

Thanks for all your imput, I just ordered the Jet jointer.

I have the Jet and *hate it*. It's awful! You'll regret your
decision!!!

just kidding!

It's a great 6" jointer.
Like others have said - ready to rock out'a the box.

FWIW - there's a disposable knife cutterhead version available (or
available soon). Saw it mentioned in American Wooddorker. Looks like
Jet's planning on an upgrade path for those of us with the older 6"
model.

And there's a longer bed version of the Jet on its way to retail market.
It's not a Powermatic, but it's supposed to be closer. Your Jet dealer
should have the catalog pictures by now, I'm told.

Patriarch,
happy with the 1953-vintage, Delta Milwaukee 8" long bed that found a home
here this spring...