Ron Truitt

Default Biscuit joinery question

I am in the process of upgrading my shop with good grade tools and also
upgrading my skills and project selection.

I have noticed a few projects using biscuits instead of nails that turn
out looking pretty neat. Is the final look of the project the main
advantage to using biscuits or is there another reason to consider them?

I remember watching Norm biscuit away many times but since my budget did
not include money for a biscuit joiner and it looked like it would take
more time than nails or screws I did not pay much attention.

Any recommendations for a biscuit joiner should I choose to jump in?

Thanks fellas.

RonT

www

Any recommendations for a biscuit joiner should I choose to jump in?

If you are after quality tools, then perhaps the Lamello biscuit joiners are
the go, however, these cost quite a bit of money (top of the line) and
seeing as you are still somewhat "investigating" the possibility of owning
one, I'd personally go for something like the Porter Cable 557 joiner. It is
still very high quality but at a much more respectable price.
It is very functional also and can cut slots for a number of different sized
biscuits.
Here's a link to the 557 model http://urlsnip.com/128415

Hope that helps.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

tom

RonT wrote: snip Is the final look of the project the main advantage
to using biscuits or is there another reason to consider them? snip

They can
help speed up glue-ups of face frames and panels by quickly locating
and levelling. They add a modicum of strength to butt joints. Tom

Robatoy

In article .com,
"tom" wrote:

They add a modicum of strength to butt joints. Tom

Read this...

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...abstract1.html

informative, albeit a tad stuffy to read.
tom

Robatoy
wrote:http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...abstract1.html

See? Tenons kick a$$(except for those particle board ones)!
Oh, man, remember that thread? Heeehee, so, where're you gonna find a
1,784 kg gorilla?!! The glues today are phenomenal, and I haven't seen
Norm (music up), use more than one biscuit per 6 inch area. Not to say
they're cheating, but these guys used 2 or 3. My answer and excuse
is/was mostly concerned with 3/4 inch solids and sheet goods and their
joinery, foregoing rabbets and dadoes/grooves). Hmmmm, I wonder how a
through-tenon would have fared? Tom

BillyBob

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Read this...

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...abstract1.html

I thought this was a serious work but had my doubts when its conclusion
paragraph started talking about hanging a 1700 kg gorilla on a door. I
should have re-read it to get the point(s) but it didn't seem worth while.

Bob

Rumpty

"It has now been approximately 3 1/2 years since the testing detailed in the
above abstract was completed. I have continued to manufacture doors, gates
and other products utilizing the methods set forth in the abstract.
Additionally, I have conducted tests in my shop on other biscuit products of
various sizes utilizing polyurethane glue from various manufacturers.

All of my testing and the success of the products with not one failure at a
joinery location has convinced me of the viability of plate joinery and
polyurethane adhesive utilized in combination. I have had an ongoing
opportunity to examine many of the doors and gates constructed over a more
than three year period. Several of the products have been exposed to severe
climatic conditions, and all of the products remain intact without damage or
joinery faults."

This says it all and I agree. Buy a Lamello.

--

Rumpty

"BillyBob" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Read this...

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...abstract1.html

I thought this was a serious work but had my doubts when its conclusion
paragraph started talking about hanging a 1700 kg gorilla on a door. I
should have re-read it to get the point(s) but it didn't seem worth while.

Bob

WillR

Ron Truitt wrote:
I am in the process of upgrading my shop with good grade tools and also=

upgrading my skills and project selection.
=20
I have noticed a few projects using biscuits instead of nails that turn=

out looking pretty neat. Is the final look of the project the main
advantage to using biscuits or is there another reason to consider them=

?
=20
I remember watching Norm biscuit away many times but since my budget di=

not include money for a biscuit joiner and it looked like it would take=

more time than nails or screws I did not pay much attention.
=20
Any recommendations for a biscuit joiner should I choose to jump in?
=20
Thanks fellas.
=20
RonT
=20

It's more an ease of assembly and alignment issue. Plus -- biscuit=20
joints are very strong =3D=3D see FWW magazine for articles.

I have a biscuit kit for my router table -- $40 -- works fine.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Pat Barber

It "depends"(always) on what you do.

If you use a lot plywood or MDF, biscuits come in right handy
for certain projects.

If you are a big turner, biscuits ain't much help.

I have a PC 557 and it comes in handy on occasion but if you want
somthing that will REALLY help out, buy a Kreg jig kit.($120) and
learn how to use pocket holes.

The pocket holes are often used in conjunction with biscuits, which
can make a VERY strong connection.

You will be amazed at how easy pocket holes joinery makes your life.

Biscuits are a big question mark for a lot of people and it depends
on what you will be doing.

Ron Truitt wrote:

I have noticed a few projects using biscuits instead of nails that turn
out looking pretty neat. Is the final look of the project the main
advantage to using biscuits or is there another reason to consider them?

Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

I have a biscuit kit for my router table -- $40 -- works fine.

Yup, I use that set-up as well. Splinus Interruptus, I call that method.
I also do it by hand, in a router, with a nice big square base.
Every bit as accurate as the C2 Classic Lamello.

I had the opportunity to use a 557 PC on a jobsite a while back.
Every bit as nice as my Lamello.....almost as nice. Just a smidge more
play in the sliding tracks. Too close to be spending the extra on the
Lamello.
I can vouch for the longevity/durability of the Lamello, I don't know
how the PC will fare under constant shop use.
When my next Lamello walks off the jobsite, I will buy the PC.
Dan

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 10:44:37p, (Ron Truitt) wrote in
:

I have noticed a few projects using biscuits instead of nails that turn
out looking pretty neat. Is the final look of the project the main
advantage to using biscuits or is there another reason to consider them?

I remember watching Norm biscuit away many times but since my budget did
not include money for a biscuit joiner and it looked like it would take
more time than nails or screws I did not pay much attention.

Any recommendations for a biscuit joiner should I choose to jump in?

Thanks fellas.

Check at your local library and see if they've got this video:
http://www.frankklausz.com/biscuitjoinery.html

If I recall correctly he's using a porter cable. He's got some interesting
techniques. I built three plywood drawers for my miter saw station using
his method. It was FAST, and those drawers are holding a few hundred pounds
worth of routers, planes, and sawblades without a problem.

They don't look all that great but then they're made with some odd pieces
my neighbors gave me when they moved down the street to a bigger house. :-)

Joe Mama

Usefull to allign the pieces. May add to strength but with Elmer's
woodworking glue being stronger than wood this may not be an issue, if
using Titebond which is weaker than the wood it may be.
Rabbit

Lon Marshall
Joe Mama

Afterthought: Probably add strength to butt joints. I prefer rebate
joints to biscuits used this way.
Rabbit

Lon Marshall

Yet another tub caulking question (sorry!) -this time about color MAG Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:52 AM
new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM