Default Rain on power tools

I figured wood workers might be a good group to post this question to.
Was building an outdoor shed in our back yard. Had a lot of tools out
there. Foolishly trusted the weather man who claimed no chance of
showers.

We caught a pop of thunder shower today. Had all my tools for the shed
outside. Got rained on hard for 15 minutes. Wondering if there is any
advice on how to handle them. I dried them all off (
and took them inside). But was wondering if sraying them internally
with WD40 for its water displacement qualities would help - or any
other suggestion.

Left out tools: framing nail gun, pancacke compressor, circular sawm
drill.

Many thanks!

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I've had the same thing happen to me a number of times. You'd think I'd
learn!
I suppose WD40 would work ok but I find it tends to gather dirt later on and
I probably wouldn't go that route.
If you need to use the tools soon, hit them pretty good with compressed air
until you are certain there is no water
in them. I've usually just used it as an excuse to relax a while while
they dry out!
Good luck,
Cheers,
cc

wrote in message
oups.com...
I figured wood workers might be a good group to post this question to.
Was building an outdoor shed in our back yard. Had a lot of tools out
there. Foolishly trusted the weather man who claimed no chance of
showers.

We caught a pop of thunder shower today. Had all my tools for the shed
outside. Got rained on hard for 15 minutes. Wondering if there is any
advice on how to handle them. I dried them all off (
and took them inside). But was wondering if sraying them internally
with WD40 for its water displacement qualities would help - or any
other suggestion.

Left out tools: framing nail gun, pancacke compressor, circular sawm
drill.

Many thanks!

Lew Hodgett

Subject

Turn on your oven at about 150-175F and place tools in the oven for an
hour or so, then allow to cool to room temp.

Heat does a great job of vaporizing water, if you don't over do it.

As far as WD40, like chicken soup, no medicinal value but hadn't oughta
hurt!

Lew
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
I've had the same thing happen to me a number of times. You'd think I'd
learn!
I suppose WD40 would work ok but I find it tends to gather dirt later on and
I probably wouldn't go that route.

You know, when you have water trapped in your ear after swimming, pouring a
little rubbing alcohol will cause it to dry almost immediately. I don't know
what effect it might have on the plastic parts but I wonder what would happen if
you poured some alcohol in them, then hitting them hard with compressed air?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Wilson

125 should be fine, maybe 2-3 hr...no need to take a chance with the
plastic. All you can do is evaporate the water. Rain doesn't leave much
behind.
Wilson
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Subject

Turn on your oven at about 150-175F and place tools in the oven for an
hour or so, then allow to cool to room temp.

Heat does a great job of vaporizing water, if you don't over do it.

As far as WD40, like chicken soup, no medicinal value but hadn't oughta
hurt!

Lew

Rob Mills

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...

You know, when you have water trapped in your ear after swimming,
pouring a

little rubbing alcohol will cause it to dry almost immediately.

The best thing I ever used to dry out wet ignition wires was either (diesel
starting fluid) that is available at most truck stops. You sure don't want
to fire things up until the either is completely evaperated. RM~

Just shake them a bit make sure all the water is out. I do concrete form
work and we work in the sand and water. NEVER a problem. Left a pinner
(BOSH hammer drill) in an inch of water picked it up and started working NO
PROBLEMS

--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I figured wood workers might be a good group to post this question to.
Was building an outdoor shed in our back yard. Had a lot of tools out
there. Foolishly trusted the weather man who claimed no chance of
showers.

We caught a pop of thunder shower today. Had all my tools for the shed
outside. Got rained on hard for 15 minutes. Wondering if there is any
advice on how to handle them. I dried them all off (
and took them inside). But was wondering if sraying them internally
with WD40 for its water displacement qualities would help - or any
other suggestion.

Left out tools: framing nail gun, pancacke compressor, circular sawm
drill.

Many thanks!

Don Dando

I would put the saw and drill in the oven with the door open and set to the
"Keep Warm" setting for a couple of hours before applying power. The air
nailer should be treated with a rust preventative such as WD-40 and
lubricated internally with the recommended oil. If you have another
compressor I'd try to gently blow out any water that got into the motor of
the pancake compressor. If that is not possible I'd use a hair dryer to dry
out the moisture. Don't cook the motor to death, just warm to the touch for
an hour of so.

Don Dando

wrote in message
oups.com...
I figured wood workers might be a good group to post this question to.
Was building an outdoor shed in our back yard. Had a lot of tools out
there. Foolishly trusted the weather man who claimed no chance of
showers.

We caught a pop of thunder shower today. Had all my tools for the shed
outside. Got rained on hard for 15 minutes. Wondering if there is any
advice on how to handle them. I dried them all off (
and took them inside). But was wondering if sraying them internally
with WD40 for its water displacement qualities would help - or any
other suggestion.

Left out tools: framing nail gun, pancacke compressor, circular sawm
drill.

Many thanks!

rickluce

I believe acetone would work better than alcohol. We used it as a
drying agent throughout my college chemistry courses.

John B

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Friendly warning....let em air a while after the alcohol. I could see
myself setting my power drill on fire!

Snip
I'd SECOND that.
A few years ago I had a CIG "Little Beaver" Spray system. Kind of like a
vacuum unit. Anyhow it started to make some horrendous noises so I
pulled it apart cleaned out the dust and gave it a good spray of WD40.
Put it all back together and had a serious brain fart. Fired it up and
bloody thing near blew apart. Scared the living Christ out of me.
Needless to say, it was a good excuse to get my first real compressor.
Quietened it down though
regards
John
woodstuff

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message:
Turn on your oven at about 150-175F and place tools in the oven for an
hour or so, then allow to cool to room temp.

snip

Lew

Should one add seasoning? grin

woodstuff

Rick Samuel

Yeah, acetone may work better, but may react with the plastic. Alcohol will
not.

Unquestionably Confused

rickluce wrote:
I believe acetone would work better than alcohol. We used it as a
drying agent throughout my college chemistry courses.

Especially good for all the little plastic bits and pieces IIRC. NOT!

Battleax

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the replies folks! Great ideas. Since my wife would
kill me if my power tools invader her oven, going to try the rubbing
alcohol first. Many, many thanks.

I know this may seem silly but, why didn't you take 25 seconds to put the
tools under cover during the storm.
Why on earth just sit there for 15 min watching them get soaked?
Am I missing something here?

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

It sounds like he trusted the weather predictions, left them out, and left
the house. Came back and the storm had hit. At least that's what's
happened to me in the past.
Cheers,
cc

"Battleax" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the replies folks! Great ideas. Since my wife would
kill me if my power tools invader her oven, going to try the rubbing
alcohol first. Many, many thanks.

I know this may seem silly but, why didn't you take 25 seconds to put the
tools under cover during the storm.
Why on earth just sit there for 15 min watching them get soaked?
Am I missing something here?

Hmmmm.....

I dunno. When I get caught in the rain, which does happen (think
decking a house when a big storm is coming) and cannot stop, our tools
get soaked. Ditto when we go to a job and get caught in an unexpected
frog strangler while sitting in traffic (no doubt caused by rain).

We use WD40 on the nails, not on the tools. Try this: spray WD40 on a
piece of metal, and let it dry. It leaves a film behind. This film
attracts dirt, lint, etc. and makes it into gum on moving surfaces. I
sure wouldn't recommend using it on the tools, inside or out. My tool
repair guy can tell in a minute when the armatures or brushes are
gummed up that someone has been using WD40. That is why my favorite
gunsmith told me to quit using it on my shotguns.

Acetone, etc., will dissolve or etch most plastics. I ruined some of
my drill and saw cases as I was industriously cleaning off tar from the
cases and I noticed the plastic became gummy. Can you imagine what
would happen to the varnish on your motor windings if you did this?

As far as your nail gun goes, forget it. No harm, no foul. How much
water do you drain out of your compressor tank every day? We are
usually in for a few ounces, depending on the season. The point is
this: is you are using a compressor to power your nailers and sanders
and do not have a drying system of filters in place, they are already
exposed to a lot of moisture. If you didn't have a funnel to channel
the water into the housing, you should be fine. Many mornings in the
south where we have extreme temp changes and high humidity you can
actually see the condensation coming out of the exhaust port of the gun
on the high usage guns like roofing nailers and staplers.

So what to do when they get wet? We dry everything off as quickly and
completely as possible. If we have the compressor on site, we blow out
the tools till dry, have some coffee and get back to work. Ideally,
we dry with a cloth, blow them out, and then let them sit overnight
before using.

Never lost one tool to rain as you described... lost plenty to rust,
though.

Robert

bridger

I'd be leery of flushing out any tool with bearings with any solvent.
sounds like a good way to remove the lubricant from the bearings to me.

Robert Ferrentino

Let your wife plug them in .(just kidding)
Most power tools are sealed , I have had
this happen a few times and let them dry
indoors for a few days with no problems.

Markem

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:19:53 -0500, "bob"
wrote:

Put them on a heat register in your house, let the heat blow on them for
about a week. They'll work as good as new.

Better yet just put them in the auto in the sun with the windows
closed, when the windows are not steamy they are done.

And yes a tongue might be slightly askew here.

Mark

wrote in message
roups.com...
I figured wood workers might be a good group to post this question to.
Was building an outdoor shed in our back yard. Had a lot of tools out
there. Foolishly trusted the weather man who claimed no chance of
showers.

Joe Mama

A little water won't hurt these tools. My stuff gets wet on jobs all
the time. Have a 20 year old Air-O-Smith compressor that has been wet
too many times to count and it still works fine. Never use WD40 on
lubricated parts. It will wash the lubricant off then dry out leaving
nothing to keep the part lubricated.
Rabbit

Lon Marshall

mac davis

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:41:32 GMT, Joe Mama wrote:

A little water won't hurt these tools. My stuff gets wet on jobs all
the time. Have a 20 year old Air-O-Smith compressor that has been wet
too many times to count and it still works fine. Never use WD40 on
lubricated parts. It will wash the lubricant off then dry out leaving
nothing to keep the part lubricated.
Rabbit

hmm... interesting brand... does it sing "dream on" a lot? *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Power tools in rain: advice? [email protected] Home Ownership 9 August 7th 05 09:53 PM
WTB: Pre-owned american made power and hand tools USENET READER Woodworking 0 March 31st 05 06:48 AM
Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 09:43 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM