Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Power tools in rain: advice?

I figured wood workers might be a good group to post this question to.
Was building an outdoor shed in our back yard. Had a lot of tools out
there. Foolishly trusted the weather man who claimed no chance of
showers.

We caught a pop of thunder shower today. Had all my tools for the shed
outside. Got rained on hard for 15 minutes. Wondering if there is any
advice on how to handle them. I dried them all off (
and took them inside). But was wondering if sraying them internally
with WD40 for its water displacement qualities would help - or any
other suggestion.

Left out tools: framing nail gun, pancacke compressor, circular sawm
drill.

Many thanks!

Al Bundy

I'd turn a box fan on them and leave it overnight. Then I'd spin them
over by hand a bit and plug them in and run for awhile to warm up.
Personally, I would avoid the WD-40 because I don't want any oily
residue on the brushes. I don't feel that would be necessary since you
caught the problem so quickly. You should be fine.

"Personally, I would avoid the WD-40 because I don't want any oily
residue on the brushes. "

Brushes? What brushes? AC powertool motors don't have brushes.

"HEHEHE
Thanks for the laugh pal.
Next time I'll try leaving the brushes out when I find them. "

Hope this from answers.com helps you out:

AC motors
Induction motors operate because a moving magnetic field induces a
current to flow in the rotor. This current in the rotor creates the
second magnetic field required (along with the field from the stator
windings) to produce a torque. Induction motors are simple and
therefore relatively cheap to construct. They do not rely on brushes
like the DC motor, and usually have a longer life.

Mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
"HEHEHE
Thanks for the laugh pal.
Next time I'll try leaving the brushes out when I find them. "

Hope this from answers.com helps you out:

AC motors
Induction motors operate because a moving magnetic field induces a
current to flow in the rotor. This current in the rotor creates the
second magnetic field required (along with the field from the stator
windings) to produce a torque. Induction motors are simple and
therefore relatively cheap to construct. They do not rely on brushes
like the DC motor, and usually have a longer life.

True for larger motors, but not for power tools. You've got brushes. See
"Universal Motors" on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor#AC_motors
and, specifically, the commutator link in that section.

Mark

"Mark" wrote in message
True for larger motors, but not for power tools. You've got brushes. See
"Universal Motors" on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor#AC_motors and, specifically,
the commutator link in that section.

(Or the owners manual for one of your power tools)

FDR

"Mark" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
"HEHEHE
Thanks for the laugh pal.
Next time I'll try leaving the brushes out when I find them. "

Hope this from answers.com helps you out:

AC motors
Induction motors operate because a moving magnetic field induces a
current to flow in the rotor. This current in the rotor creates the
second magnetic field required (along with the field from the stator
windings) to produce a torque. Induction motors are simple and
therefore relatively cheap to construct. They do not rely on brushes
like the DC motor, and usually have a longer life.

True for larger motors, but not for power tools. You've got brushes. See
"Universal Motors" on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor#AC_motors and, specifically,
the commutator link in that section.

I think my Makita belt sander has brushes. I had it serviced and they said
they put new ones in.

Power tools in the rain: adice? [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 7th 05 09:38 PM
Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM
beginner tools Justa Beginner Woodworking 14 March 3rd 05 03:15 AM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM