Jeepnstein

Default Gloat? Not yet...

A friend at work asked me if I knew anyone with an old aluminum top for
a benchtop table saw. He broke his and didn't have the cash to buy a
replacement. I told him I'd check. I had an old Craftsman benchtop
that I had tuned and built a folding outfeed table for. It can pass
the nickle test in it's current form.

So, since I haven't used it in years I brought it in and had him stick
it in his van. I told him to just keep it and use it. He's a nice guy
and I really didn't want to take his money for a Craftsman benchtop
saw.

Then he tells me why he's so broke he can't afford an el-cheapo table
saw. It would seem that he has been a sawyer for years and he just
bought a new band saw mill. His plan is to sell hardwoods from logs he
and his buddy have been harvesting for years. They have a pile of oak
and walnut ready to cut and he said they had some really special logs
that had to be seen to be believed. We have alot of really fine
hardwoods locally but most of it is sold for export and it's hard to
find a sawyer that wants to mess with small orders.

So, I have just traded a benchtop saw for a pile of log-run oak with
some quartersawn thrown in. He's also going to be a good source for
quality lumber for a long time.

Life is good...

Jim

Unquestionably Confused

Jeepnstein wrote:
but most of it is sold for export and it's hard to
find a sawyer that wants to mess with small orders.

So, I have just traded a benchtop saw for a pile of log-run oak with
some quartersawn thrown in. He's also going to be a good source for
quality lumber for a long time.

Life is good...

That's a gloat already - even if you never saw a stick of that wood.
Causing a gloat is as just as good as scoring one. More so since it was
an act of kindness that is likely to bring YOUR end of the gloat home
to roost.

You're right, life is good when things work that way. I've had it
happen under similar circumstances here on the wreck. Life is indeed good.

Bruce

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:17:07 -0600, Jeepnstein wrote
(in article . com):

..

Life is good...

Jim

Hmmm. this is a karma return. no a gloat in the sense that the trade should
result in even karma, but definitely a gloat in that you know the direct
result of the karma and the direct result is WOOD!

Congrats! (you sucketh!)

-Bruce

Joe Wells

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:17:07 -0700, Jeepnstein wrote:

A friend at work asked me ...

It would seem that he has been a sawyer for years and he just bought a
new band saw mill. His plan is to sell hardwoods from logs he and his
buddy have been harvesting for years.

*There's* the gloat. Getting cheap wood once is great. But since your
buddy is a saywer, I envision a steady supply of inexpensive hardwood in
your future.

They have a pile of oak and walnut
ready to cut and he said they had some really special logs that had to be
seen to be believed. We have alot of really fine hardwoods locally but
most of it is sold for export and it's hard to find a sawyer that wants to
mess with small orders.

So, I have just traded a benchtop saw for a pile of log-run oak with some
quartersawn thrown in. He's also going to be a good source for quality
lumber for a long time.

Life is good...

Indeed.

So where is your friend's mill and how do we contact him? There are
probably several potential clients reading this ng right now.

--
-Joe Wells
Jeepnstein

He's not up and running yet. I expect to see some wood in a couple of
weeks since I'll probably be getting a bit from the first few logs they
do. I'm trying to get him to quarter a few logs since that brings a
bigger price. Once they have their stuff together I'll let you know.
We're in Southern Ohio, right on the river. It's about a two hour
drive to Civilization no matter what direction you travel.

Oh, you should have heard the gloat our boss dropped on us a while ago.
He was a shop teacher at the time. It was in the early seventies.
How does 1500 bd feet of cherry, some as wide as 16 inches, for a buck
a foot sound. He bought it off a farmer who had it stickered in his
barn since the Great Depression. The farmer knew what he had but just
wanted it to go to someone who would do the right thing with it.

Jim