news.central.cox.net

Default moving South

Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have a
couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How does
one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will live?

Thanks in advance...

Mike Lester

Swingman

"news.central.cox.net" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have a
couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How

does
one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will

live?

You're in for a big surprise ... starting with the fact that Texas is so big
as to make answering your question futile without you being more specific as
_where_ in the Texas?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Leon

Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have a
couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How
does
one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will
live?

Thanks in advance...

I live in Houston and basically do not worry with wood movement. Humidity
varies from about 35% when it is reeeeeel dry to 100% . No problems moving
from the open shop to a controlled encironment. I use TopCote a couple of
times a year on the iron surfaces and have no rust.

That said there are parts of Texas that are only 300 miles south of Nebraska
and parts of Texas are way farther south than the "Deep South" slightly
north of the Keys in Florida.

Jody

Swingman wrote:
"news.central.cox.net" wrote in message

Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have a
couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How

does

one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will

live?

You're in for a big surprise ... starting with the fact that Texas is so big
as to make answering your question futile without you being more specific as
_where_ in the Texas?

It does make it kinda hard to tell. I'm in southeast texas 30 miles from
the gulf and 70 miles east of Houston. I really can't say I have
problems with wood movement. I can tell you you need to invest in a can
of topcoat or a can of Johnson's wax for your cast iron.
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"news.central.cox.net" wrote in message
Hi all,

Is it raining at your house too?

Thomas Kendrick

There are two types of air conditioning in Texas. On the gulf coast,
the humidity can get a bit high, so conventional A/C is used. In
central Texas, west Texas and the panhandle, the humidity is
sufficiently low to use a "swamp cooler" that blows air over
watersoaked fiber mats.
It seldom freezes south of Huntsville, but ice and snow can be found
on I35 around the Red river and going north into OK. If you get into
Dalhart in the Texas panhandle, it can be a might brisk at 10-16
degrees in the winter.
Now, which of the 254 counties in Texas will be your new destination?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:10:00 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"news.central.cox.net" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have a
couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How

does
one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will

live?

You're in for a big surprise ... starting with the fact that Texas is so big
as to make answering your question futile without you being more specific as
_where_ in the Texas?

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

Is it raining at your house too?

Just for the past month ... the shop is like a steam bath during the day.
It's tolerable if I can keep it open, but if I have to close it to go
somewhere (which is ten times a day here lately), by the time I get back,
forget about it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Swingman

"Thomas Kendrick" wrote in message

It seldom freezes south of Huntsville, but ice and snow can be found
on I35 around the Red river and going north into OK. If you get into
Dalhart in the Texas panhandle, it can be a might brisk at 10-16
degrees in the winter.

Yep... I was in Snyder, up in Scurry County, a few weeks back and one
evening it got plumb brisk for June. Got a blast-from-the-past in how the
folks greet you ... Welcome to Scurry County", not "Welcome to Snyder" ...
as in most of them live out on the wide open spaces thereabouts, far removed
from the town.

And what a great drive ... 290 from Houston to Brenham, then 36, ALL the way
to Abilene. Heart O' Texas drive, for sure.

Saw a still functioning drive-in movie outside of Gatesville, and you'll
find that Hamilton, it not one of the prettiest, is still one of those old
fashion towns that looks like Texas used to look before freeways and
absentee land ownership.

It was most definitely a pause from city life that refreshed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Rick Samuel

Here in Austin, ice on the roads can be a problem. But the last couple
years, not much ice.
Texas has five seasons;
Dec. & Jan. winter
Feb. Mar. April, spring
May & June are summer
July & August is super summer
Sept. & Oct. back to summer
Nov. is fall

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Is it raining at your house too?

Just for the past month ... the shop is like a steam bath during the day.
It's tolerable if I can keep it open, but if I have to close it to go
somewhere (which is ten times a day here lately), by the time I get back,
forget about it.

Yes us too although we have not had many inches as the rest of the city . I
suspect 5-6" this month.

Jupiter

Mike,

I depends on where in Texas you are moving to. I live in the DFW
metro, and I don't have AC in my garage/shop.

I don't have any problems with my tools rusting. Basically wax the
iron a couple times a year - thats all I do and I don't have rust.
East Texas (east of what I call 'the pine tree line') gets more rain,
but I don't think its significantly more humid (but I don't live there
so I may be wrong - ask one who lives there). The gulf coast is more
humid on average, but again, I don't think its more of a problem then
any other costal area. West Texas is very dry so you don't have any
worries there. Again, I speak for DFW only though.

AC does dry the air inside, but most of Texas is pretty dry anyway so
the difference is a few percent. Second, the weather changes so fast
that the impact of a humid spring followed by a dry summer is minimized
to a certain extent. We don't have long months of humidity followed by
long months of dryness - its much more dynamic.

Hot, you bet. In DFW we have had a humid spell, but its between hot
and dry spells. In fact, we have a heat advisory in effect for the
next several days. Dry and highs in the upper 90's/lower 100's.

I tell everyone that like the North, Texas has 3 tough months. Not
Jan/Feb/Mar but instead June/July/Aug. I work in the shop pretty much
year 'round, but in those 3 summer months, its early in the morning or
late at night - whichever the kids decide is better for them That
said 95 degrees is my limit so little gets done until it cools off
for real in late Sept. Its rarely below 35 in the winter so I work
anytime I like then.

Finally I'll say this - as long as you follow the basic "rules" of wood
movement, you'll be fine. Unfortunately I have not built every piece
of furniture in my house. My bedroom was made in China blush and I
have never had a problem, my dining room was made in Vermont (or
wherever Ethan Allen is made) no problems there. You know, we do have
real wood down here. We even have tall buldings downtown! Cars, well
thats another story, I ride my horse to work everyday. I don't know
about the WW in the local saloon though, they made the bar out of wood
from tumbleweeds.

(in case you didn't see it)

Sorry, could resist the jab.
When you get here, welcome to Texas.
Matt

news.central.cox.net wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have a
couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How does
one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will live?

Thanks in advance...

Mike Lester

J.B. Bobbitt

My Dad always told me:

"If I had a farm in Texas and a home in Hell, I'd sell the farm and go
home".

I should have listened.

-jbb

"news.central.cox.net" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have a
couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How
does
one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will
live?

Thanks in advance...

Mike Lester

Leon

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Here in Austin, ice on the roads can be a problem. But the last couple
years, not much ice.
Texas has five seasons;
Dec. & Jan. winter
Feb. Mar. April, spring
May & June are summer
July & August is super summer
Sept. & Oct. back to summer
Nov. is fall

No, Texas has 2 seasons. ;~) Summer and Christmas. LOL

Leon

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
m...
My Dad always told me:

"If I had a farm in Texas and a home in Hell, I'd sell the farm and go
home".

I should have listened.

Some people just don't have what it takes I guess.

Upscale

"Leon" wrote in message

Some people just don't have what it takes I guess.

Wonder how you'd survive in Canada with our sub zero temperatures, vicious
sled dogs and frozen outhouses? Ever sat in an outhouse and have your butt
frozen to the seat? And that's just about the time the sled dogs come to
visit.

Leon

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Some people just don't have what it takes I guess.

Wonder how you'd survive in Canada with our sub zero temperatures, vicious
sled dogs and frozen outhouses? Ever sat in an outhouse and have your
butt
frozen to the seat? And that's just about the time the sled dogs come to
visit.

Actually my nephew sat in an out house in Pottsboro TX and froze his bottom
to the seat. He had been sweating under all his layers and instantly froze
to the seat. He left skin behind. Texas does have some pretty cold spots.
About 15 years ago Houston had a low of 7 degrees F. Pretty cool when you
take everything in perspective. With that in mind my wife's aunt, uncle,
and cousins came for a visit several years ago and indicated that with our
humidity the winters here in Houston can be quite miserably cold. They are
from Burlington Ontario.

jo4hn

Rick Samuel wrote:
Here in Austin, ice on the roads can be a problem. But the last couple
years, not much ice.
Texas has five seasons;
Dec. & Jan. winter
Feb. Mar. April, spring
May & June are summer
July & August is super summer
Sept. & Oct. back to summer
Nov. is fall

I remember Minnesota having four seasons: almost winter, winter, still
winter, and road construction.
j4
news.central.cox.net

Oops! Yes, I should have been more specific about location. I will be
moving to Magnolia, a small town about an hour and a half north of Houston.
Plenty humid. Sounds like I shouldn't have problems if I follow my usual
practices.

Thanks!

Mike L.

oups.com...

news.central.cox.net wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning to move from Nebraska to Texas in the near future and have

couple of questions about heat and humidity in the shop. First, are

there
special precautions or maintenance regimens to protect machinery? How

does
one handle wood movement if furniture is constructed in a shop without

air
conditioning and then moved to the air conditioned home where it will

live?

Thanks in advance...

Mike Lester

Art Ransom

Remember the two things a Texan fears the most! A tornado and a Yankee with
a trailer.

--There are two bills in the Texas legislature. One to build a 6" barbed
wire fence along the Rio Grande, not much support and not expected to pass.
Second to build a 10" barbed wire fence with razor wire and gun towers along
the Red River. Expected to be signed into law shortly but the big concern is
the large numbers of volunteers expected to help with construction.
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message
No, Texas has 2 seasons. ;~) Summer and Christmas. LOL

.... and they usually coincide.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Robert Bonomi

In article . net,
jo4hn wrote:
Rick Samuel wrote:
Here in Austin, ice on the roads can be a problem. But the last couple
years, not much ice.
Texas has five seasons;
Dec. & Jan. winter
Feb. Mar. April, spring
May & June are summer
July & August is super summer
Sept. & Oct. back to summer
Nov. is fall

I remember Minnesota having four seasons: almost winter, winter, still
winter, and road construction.
j4

In metro Chicago, drivers insist that there are only two seasons.
1) construction season
2) pot-hole season

jo4hn

Art Ransom wrote:

Remember the two things a Texan fears the most! A tornado and a Yankee with
a trailer.

--There are two bills in the Texas legislature. One to build a 6" barbed
wire fence along the Rio Grande, not much support and not expected to pass.
Second to build a 10" barbed wire fence with razor wire and gun towers along
the Red River. Expected to be signed into law shortly but the big concern is
the large numbers of volunteers expected to help with construction.
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

You will have to change the name of your state to Texaco. :-)
yee haw
jo4hn
Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
No, Texas has 2 seasons. ;~) Summer and Christmas. LOL

... and they usually coincide.

Not in N TX, they don't...
Swingman

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
No, Texas has 2 seasons. ;~) Summer and Christmas. LOL

... and they usually coincide.

Not in N TX, they don't...

Depends upon what you call "N. Texas" ... to a Texan, that would be up
around the Dallas/FW, Denton area, and the weather there is often similar to
Houston's.

Now the Texas Panhandle is a different story all together. Those barbed wire
fences between the Texas Panhandle and your part of the country doesn't hold
back much of that Canadian Christmas wind.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/23/05

Leon

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
Remember the two things a Texan fears the most! A tornado and a Yankee
with a trailer.

--There are two bills in the Texas legislature. One to build a 6" barbed
wire fence along the Rio Grande, not much support and not expected to
pass. Second to build a 10" barbed wire fence with razor wire and gun
towers along the Red River. Expected to be signed into law shortly but the
big concern is the large numbers of volunteers expected to help with
construction.

I heard that the construction workers were going to be from across the
border. LOL

Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
No, Texas has 2 seasons. ;~) Summer and Christmas. LOL

... and they usually coincide.

Not in N TX, they don't...

Depends upon what you call "N. Texas" ... to a Texan, that would be up
around the Dallas/FW, Denton area, and the weather there is often similar to
Houston's.

Now the Texas Panhandle is a different story all together. Those barbed wire
fences between the Texas Panhandle and your part of the country doesn't hold
back much of that Canadian Christmas wind.

That also depends on which part of TX "Texan" you're talking about...up
here in the Panhandle, the two are pretty much synonyms--it's a long
ways to the Red River country down there...

I recall as a kid going to grandparents' in "The Valley" (they
farmed/dairy'ed between McAllen and Pharr) -- it was 45 min from the
house out of KS, across the OK panhandle and into TX -- "when do we get
to Gfandma's???" started soon thereafter...

And, invariably, it would be a wet, cloudy spell and we'd be freezin' to
death in the damp where we would have been comfortable at 30 degrees
colder in the dry...
Jason Quick

"Art Ransom" wrote:

Remember the two things a Texan fears the most! A tornado and a Yankee
with a trailer.

I can see why, since the state's pretty much one big trailer park already.
More trailers would just crowd the place up. : )

--There are two bills in the Texas legislature. One to build a 6" barbed
wire fence along the Rio Grande, not much support and not expected to
pass. Second to build a 10" barbed wire fence with razor wire and gun
towers along the Red River. Expected to be signed into law shortly but the
big concern is the large numbers of volunteers expected to help with
construction.

What the volunteers don't know, of course, is that the fence is part of a
joint project with Texas' bordering states to keep Texans IN.

Jason

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:51:57 GMT, the opaque "Leon"
clearly wrote:

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
om...
My Dad always told me:

"If I had a farm in Texas and a home in Hell, I'd sell the farm and go
home".

I should have listened.

Some people just don't have what it takes I guess.

Single digit IQ and/or a tendency toward masochism?
Guess not. I moved back to Phoenix for 3 months
(durning the summer, no less) to remind myself why I
left a perfectly good girlfriend & a miserable climate.

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Robert Allison

Jason Quick wrote:

"Art Ransom" wrote:

Remember the two things a Texan fears the most! A tornado and a Yankee
with a trailer.

I can see why, since the state's pretty much one big trailer park already.
More trailers would just crowd the place up. : )

--There are two bills in the Texas legislature. One to build a 6" barbed
wire fence along the Rio Grande, not much support and not expected to
pass. Second to build a 10" barbed wire fence with razor wire and gun
towers along the Red River. Expected to be signed into law shortly but the
big concern is the large numbers of volunteers expected to help with
construction.

What the volunteers don't know, of course, is that the fence is part of a
joint project with Texas' bordering states to keep Texans IN.

Jason

All this talk about where people are from is just wrong! I
have always found that if you are talking to someone, you
should never ask where they are from. If they are from Texas,
they'll tell you, and if they're not from Texas, don't
embarass them.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Thomas Kendrick

High humidity all the time. Not a breath of breeze. A little cool in
the winter. Fairly close to the Texas Renaissance Festival in
Plantersville (http://www.texrenfest.com/). Piney woods and acidic
soil. Hurricanes now and then. Welcome to Texas.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:09:54 -0500, "news.central.cox.net"
wrote:

Oops! Yes, I should have been more specific about location. I will be
moving to Magnolia, a small town about an hour and a half north of Houston.
Plenty humid. Sounds like I shouldn't have problems if I follow my usual
practices.

Thanks!

Mike L.

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
Moving magnet / Moving coil cartridges N Cook Electronics Repair 1 April 12th 05 06:28 PM
Need Advice - Moving my Woodshop AndyB Woodworking 25 March 2nd 05 07:58 AM
OT - Groundhog Day Cliff Metalworking 59 February 10th 05 05:19 AM
South Bend 9" surprise brownnsharp Metalworking 0 December 3rd 04 03:02 AM