Dan Major

Default DIY bandsaw fence

I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit, and once I got
the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a lot
of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost $100
for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just using
a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something a
little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square. Has
anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only found
commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.
tom

Dan wrote: I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit,
and once I got
the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a
lot
of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost
$100
for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just
using
a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something
little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square.
Has
anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only
found
commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.

Just build your own. I've put an extension table on my little 14 inch
Delta, through which a couple of slots were routed. A simple fence
with accessories(like a resaw fence) isn't hard to make, and with a
couple of wing nuts and toilet bolts, quite adjustable for drift. Tom

Pat Barber

Ken Vaughn is your guy for do-it-yourself add-ons...

He built a great bandsaw fence...

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/jigs.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/other.html

Dan Major wrote:

I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit, and once I got
the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a lot
of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost $100
for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just using
a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something a
little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square. Has
anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only found
commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.

George

"Dan Major" wrote in message
.6...
I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit, and once I got
the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a lot
of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost $100
for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just using
a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something a
little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square. Has
anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only found
commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.

You'll get more than fifty hits in the first couple of months from the rails
the commercial rigs ride on. Ad-hoc fences and those sliding vice-grip
clamps are great. Not least of all because you take them off when you don't
need them.

Use a set of brass bars or the Lee Valley aluminum for your setup. Tap in
the desired direction with a mallet for micro adjustment.

mac davis

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:50:05 GMT, Dan Major wrote:

I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit, and once I got
the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a lot
of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost $100
for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just using
a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something a
little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square. Has
anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only found
commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.

I use a plywood fence, 2 pieces the length of the table, glued with block to
make a 90 degree angle, one piece rides on the table, the other is upright to
support the wood..

As I learned from charlie's site:

Find a foot long piece of hard board with at least one square edge..

Mark a line parallel to the square edge, cut along the line, 1/2 way through the
hardboard..

Stop the saw without moving the hardboard..

Make a pencil line on your table with the square edge of the hardboard..

This is the angle or off set you want to clamp your fence at to cut a straight
line while holding stock against the fence..

Or, you can spend a few hundred bucks on a fancy resawing fence setup.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Dan Major

Pat Barber wrote in
:

Ken Vaughn is your guy for do-it-yourself add-ons...

Yup. http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/t_square.jpg
is just the sort of thing I'm lookin for. One qyrstion - why have the
track go on *both* sides of the blade? Is it necessary, or just
convenient? My shop is very small/cramped and I keep jetting poked in the
back every time I turn around.
CaptMike

Dan Major wrote:
I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit, and once I got
the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a lot
of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost $100
for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just using
a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something a
little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square. Has
anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only found
commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.

About two weeks ago, McFreelys was selling Kreig BS fences, supposedly
discontinued models, for around $50. I ordered one and then sent me
what appears to be the same blue and black anodized one that normally
retails for $100+. There were some almost invisible scuffs on one part,
but I suspect this was a lot of blems. For $50, it wasn't worth it to
make anything.
charlie b

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Resawing1.html

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...leDetails.html