John Emmons

Default Some nice finds at the swap meet

Found a new vendor at my local, monthly swap meet. Had a bunch of nice old
stuff. Planes, chisels, braces, etc. Fair number of old plumb bobs and tri
squares too.

I picked up a small woodworking vise, unknown brand but has Made in U.S.A.
molded into the body of it, and what I think is a fairly old Stanley
Warrington hammer. The head is square instead of round but the other side is
definitely a Warrington type. Might be an upholster's hammer?

The vise should fit nicely on a small bench I'm planning and I just liked
the looks of the hammer, I got a good deal and met some nice folks who plan
on coming back every month so that doubles my number of regular sellers to
go see each month.

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

Dave in Fairfax

lgb wrote:
Nice gloat. I had a good Saturday as well. I collect old handsaws and
found 4 in quite good shape for $5 total. They a

An Atkins "Silver Steel" #54 from 1900-1910, my favorite saw. I don't
know what Atkins put in their steel, but it has some of the properties
of stainless. I've never seen one badly rusted, usually no or very
little rust.

A Disston "Acme 120" from 1896-1914. This is the one made with no set
and tapered teeth that supposedly sawed a smooth enough cut that it
could be glued without planing off the saw marks.

An unknown Disston, probably a D8 but the engraving is too faded to
read. Also 1896-1914

And the real find - a "Joseph Haywood Sheffield" from the UK with "split
nut" handle screws. Best guess, about 1870-1880. The name is more
"stamped" than "etched" and is very simple. Could be even older. The
company, what little I can find, started up in the early 1800s and was
defunct before 1900.

OK, nobody but another saw collector will get excited, but I had to brag
somewhere :-).

Congratulations. A hardware store colsed up %-( around here and I
picked up the Atkins Silver Steel wall saw holder displays (2) for $10
total. I've got them disassembled and stored. After we retire and I
get some room, they're going back up the wall of my shop to hold my old
Disstons and old German saws.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , lgb
wrote:

OK, nobody but another saw collector will get excited, but I had to brag
somewhere :-).

Reminds me of the guy who goes into the confessional and says "Bless
me, Father, for I have sinned. Last night, I made love to a woman SEVEN
times."
The priest says "Who was this sinful woman, my son?"
He replied, "It was my wife, Father."
To which the priest answered, "That's not a sin. Why are you telling me
this?"
The man said "Well, who else would believe me?"

Gerry
Phisherman

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:22:27 GMT, "John Emmons"
wrote:

Found a new vendor at my local, monthly swap meet. Had a bunch of nice old
stuff. Planes, chisels, braces, etc. Fair number of old plumb bobs and tri
squares too.

snip

I look at swap meet/flea market tools every time. Rarely do I find
something worth buying. I've been looking for a good anvil for
sometime, spied one that looked good but $50 was too much. Lots of
furniture pieces at low low prices--makes me cry when I see a chair
(similar to the labor-intensive one I built) for just $2.

Check out the Old Tools group, you would like it:

http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html

dave