Brian

Default router problem

A little help, please. I have a Crapsman router ( I know, but it wwas a gift
{honest}. I have used it for a couple of years. Now, when I start a piece
through the table and into the bit, it cuts fine for a couple of inches and
then slides down below table height. I have even tightened the set screw
handle with a pair of pliers and it still does not stay in place. Does the
band enlarge after so many loosening and tightenings? Does the collet become
loose? What could it be? I am a pure amatuer wood butcher, but this has just
recently been happening. I know it is probably something stupid I am
overlooking.
TIA for you help (and even your ridicule, for those so inclined)
Brian

tdup2

They have had trouble with both the collet coming loose and the band. They
changed the band the last couple years to the Porter Cable type and that
works better but the collets are still not very good. Take a marker and mark
a line where your bit hits the top of the collet and then you can tell if it
is slipping when you make your cut. If it's the collet slips you are better
just getting rid of the router if it is the type that is part of the shaft.

"Brian" wrote in message
. ..
A little help, please. I have a Crapsman router ( I know, but it wwas a
gift {honest}. I have used it for a couple of years. Now, when I start a
piece through the table and into the bit, it cuts fine for a couple of
inches and then slides down below table height. I have even tightened the
set screw handle with a pair of pliers and it still does not stay in place.
Does the band enlarge after so many loosening and tightenings? Does the
collet become loose? What could it be? I am a pure amatuer wood butcher,
but this has just recently been happening. I know it is probably something
stupid I am overlooking.
TIA for you help (and even your ridicule, for those so inclined)
Brian

Lew Hodgett

Brian wrote:
A little help, please. I have a Crapsman router ( I know, but it wwas a gift
{honest}. I have used it for a couple of years. Now, when I start a piece
through the table and into the bit, it cuts fine for a couple of inches and
then slides down below table height. I have even tightened the set screw
handle with a pair of pliers and it still does not stay in place. Does the
band enlarge after so many loosening and tightenings? Does the collet become
loose? What could it be? I am a pure amatuer wood butcher, but this has just
recently been happening. I know it is probably something stupid I am
overlooking.
TIA for you help (and even your ridicule, for those so inclined)

I had the same problem a long time ago.

Found no good solution.

Rather than waste any more wood, I dumped it and got on with life.

Sorry I can offer nothing better.

Lew
Brian

Sounds like the best advice so far is to buy a real router. BTW, the table
is a Sears. I thought I was not tightening the band enough, but after using
pliers and still suffering slippage I gave up. Will have to wait until I pay
the son's tuition. Thanks.
"Brian" wrote in message
. ..
A little help, please. I have a Crapsman router ( I know, but it wwas a
gift {honest}. I have used it for a couple of years. Now, when I start a
piece through the table and into the bit, it cuts fine for a couple of
inches and then slides down below table height. I have even tightened the
set screw handle with a pair of pliers and it still does not stay in place.
Does the band enlarge after so many loosening and tightenings? Does the
collet become loose? What could it be? I am a pure amatuer wood butcher,
but this has just recently been happening. I know it is probably something
stupid I am overlooking.
TIA for you help (and even your ridicule, for those so inclined)
Brian

Prometheus

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:45:29 GMT, "Brian"
wrote:

A little help, please. I have a Crapsman router ( I know, but it wwas a gift
{honest}. I have used it for a couple of years. Now, when I start a piece
through the table and into the bit, it cuts fine for a couple of inches and
then slides down below table height. I have even tightened the set screw
handle with a pair of pliers and it still does not stay in place. Does the
band enlarge after so many loosening and tightenings? Does the collet become
loose? What could it be? I am a pure amatuer wood butcher, but this has just
recently been happening. I know it is probably something stupid I am
overlooking.
TIA for you help (and even your ridicule, for those so inclined)

I have a Duracraft router (Farm & Fleet house brand) the wife got me
several years ago, and it started having a similar problem- only in my
case the bit was climbing up somehow, and randomly cutting though the
surface of the wood when dadoing. I tried a whole ton of different
fixes, but ended up just replacing it with a Porter-Cable 690- it's
not even in the same ballpark as the cheap one. And the extra cost
was immediately justified by my no longer having to worry about a
carbide-tipped bit shooting out and trying to route a groove in my
skull!