Patriarch

Default Satisfaction evidently guaranteed...

The last issue of Workbench, from August Home Publishing arrived, and I
thought it was below their usual standards. After some discussions
regarding magazines, and deciding I had too many subscriptions already, I
emailed their customer service site, and cancelled, telling them they could
donate the balance of the sub wherever it made sense to them.

Today a check arrived, representing the unused portion of the subscription.
I was somewhat surprised, and a little impressed.

August Home seems to be run by a group of honest folk. While not every one
of their pubs is for me, I'm more likely to keep taking ShopNotes now, even
though I doubt I'll ever build one of their baltic birch workshop wonders.

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:29:56 -0500, the opaque Patriarch
spake:

The last issue of Workbench, from August Home Publishing arrived, and I
thought it was below their usual standards. After some discussions
regarding magazines, and deciding I had too many subscriptions already, I
emailed their customer service site, and cancelled, telling them they could
donate the balance of the sub wherever it made sense to them.

Today a check arrived, representing the unused portion of the subscription.
I was somewhat surprised, and a little impressed.

August Home seems to be run by a group of honest folk. While not every one
of their pubs is for me, I'm more likely to keep taking ShopNotes now, even
though I doubt I'll ever build one of their baltic birch workshop wonders.

Why aren't you subscribing to Woodsmith instead, Glenn? It's more of a
cross between ShopNotes and FWW. I swapped to WS when the SN script
was up for renewal.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
news snip

Why aren't you subscribing to Woodsmith instead, Glenn? It's more of a
cross between ShopNotes and FWW. I swapped to WS when the SN script
was up for renewal.

Woodsmith is one of the too many I get. It's a keeper, primarily for the
following reason:

When one of the kids (adult kids, but mine none the less) wants to build a
project, I can point them to the stack of Woodsmith back issues, and tell
them to look for something in there, and see if they can understand how to
build it. And then I'm willing to help them run the tools. I want it to
be their project, not Pop's project. Woodsmith goes into sufficient detail
that, as long as they can figure out the sharp parts of the tools, they can
probably have some measure of success. My job is reduced to instruction
and safety and project progress, so it doesn't clog the shop too badly.

When I want to do something for them that is creative and potentially
heirloom quality (he says with no appreciable modesty, or actual basis in
fact), then I want it to be on my terms, and on my schedule, and on my
budget.

No, Woodsmith may stay, even when SN expires.

Patriarch

Toro Recycler Mower (Guaranteed To Start?) Rich Home Ownership 2 April 22nd 05 07:21 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Turn $6 into $60,000 in 90 days, GUARANTEED C. Amato Home Repair 0 December 20th 03 11:05 PM
TURN $6 INTO $60,000 GUARANTEED Sofija Nutter Home Repair 1 November 20th 03 03:58 AM
Postal Lottery: Turn $6 into $60,000 in 90 days, GUARANTEED Louis UK diy 0 October 1st 03 01:43 PM