davide1209

Default Plywood question

When talking about 7-ply hardwood plywood with veneer on each side, do
the veneers count as plies, meaning there would be seven layers
altogether? Or does it mean there are nine layers altogether--seven
layers of fill plus two veneers?

It would probably be obvious if I had the product in front of me. But
I am researching prices for different plywood products on the web and
I'm trying to figure out what exactly is being offerred.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

SonomaProducts.com

The GP specification says the ply count includes the faces

http://www.gp.com/build/PageViewer.a...elementid=3876

"Veneer Core
The most common core type, with all inner plies made from softwood or
hardwood veneer. Employs a standard cross-ply technique with three,
five, seven or nine plies (including the face and back) used to produce
the final panel. Structural strength and stability make veneer core
panels particularly suited to cabinet and casework."

Leon

"davide1209" wrote in message
ups.com...
When talking about 7-ply hardwood plywood with veneer on each side, do
the veneers count as plies, meaning there would be seven layers
altogether? Or does it mean there are nine layers altogether--seven
layers of fill plus two veneers?

It would probably be obvious if I had the product in front of me. But
I am researching prices for different plywood products on the web and
I'm trying to figure out what exactly is being offerred.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Yes count all the pieces. 7 ply hardwood veneer plywood is pretty run of
the mill common in 3/4" thicknesses 5 inner and 2 outer.

1/2" Baltic Birch typically is 9 ply.