Robert11

Default Plywood Question: Really Smooth Top Layer-What Is It ?

Hello:

Saw some plywood sheets in a lumber yard which
I don't think I've ever seen before.

Wish I asked the fellow there for a type designation,
but neglected to.

They had one surface unbelievably smooth, and uniform; at least for any
plywood that I've ever seen.
A dark brown color.
Almost looked like a verneer.

No blemishes-really a nice layer.

Man there said it was absolutely wood, this top layer, and could be stained,
polyurethane, etc.

Anyone know the type of plywood that this "might" have been ?
Is the top layer really "wood" ?

What's this stuff usually used for ?
Indoor or Outdoor ?
Will it take a stain ?

Thanks,
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Anyone know the type of plywood that this "might" have been ?
Is the top layer really "wood" ?

What's this stuff usually used for ?
Indoor or Outdoor ?
Will it take a stain ?

Thanks,
Bob

There are high quality plywoods available. You can get oak, cherry, maple,
mahogany, etc. Most have an A and B side, meaning the A side is best, the B
is the same wood, but may have some lesser appearance to it. For more money
you will get Two A side.

It is intended for indoor use. Yes, it will take stain, but if I'm paying
for oak or cherry, I'm going to leave the natural beauty of the wood show.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

johnny

"Robert11" wrote

Anyone know the type of plywood that this "might" have been ?

Cabinet grade plywood.

Is the top layer really "wood" ?

Yes.

What's this stuff usually used for ?

For cabinet making. Usually made with 9-13 layers with little or no voids in
the core for a 3/4" thickness vs. the normal 5 layers with many knots or
voids in the core. Can get the finished veneer in most any species of wood.

Indoor or Outdoor ?

Indoor.

Will it take a stain ?

Yes.

bill a

there's a birch veneer plywood that's pretty common in the yards around
here. used for cabinets, custom bookshelves, etc.
and not really all that pricey, considering how it looks.
bill
wrote in message
Hello:

Saw some plywood sheets in a lumber yard which
I don't think I've ever seen before.

Wish I asked the fellow there for a type designation,
but neglected to.

They had one surface unbelievably smooth, and uniform; at least for any
plywood that I've ever seen.
A dark brown color.
Almost looked like a verneer.

No blemishes-really a nice layer.

Man there said it was absolutely wood, this top layer, and could be
stained, polyurethane, etc.

Anyone know the type of plywood that this "might" have been ?
Is the top layer really "wood" ?

What's this stuff usually used for ?
Indoor or Outdoor ?
Will it take a stain ?

Thanks,
Bob

John Hines

"Robert11" wrote:

Hello:

Saw some plywood sheets in a lumber yard which
I don't think I've ever seen before.

Wish I asked the fellow there for a type designation,
but neglected to.

They had one surface unbelievably smooth, and uniform; at least for any
plywood that I've ever seen.
A dark brown color.
Almost looked like a verneer.

MDO? Medium density overlay has exterior plywood, with heavy brown
kraft paper laminated on the outside. Very popular among sign painters,
and others that paint rather than stain.

You can get plywood with layers of anything you want, depending on how
much you are willing to pay.