www

Default I need a tool, for freehand cutting thin styrofoam patterns

I would like a tool for freehand cutting 1" and larger fonts into blue 1/2
inch
Styrofoam.
Something fast and leaves a clean edge.
there are hot blades and then those little 12 volt jigsaws for gourd

carving but
I've never seen either.
Anyone have experience cutting fine patterns in sheet Styrofoam, mostly
lettering.
thanks

What about a variable speed scroll saw on slow speed setting?

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

Bruce Barnett

writes:

I would like a tool for freehand cutting 1" and larger fonts into
blue 1/2 inch Styrofoam. Something fast and leaves a clean edge.
there are hot blades and then those little 12 volt jigsaws for gourd
carving but I've never seen either.

If you have never seen them, MicroMark sells them.
Hot knife cuts thru styrofoam like butter:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82897

$58.30

There is also the hot wire foam cutter for $30.80

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82104

It cuts styrofoam up to 4 inches thick.

I think the advantage of these is that it doesn't leave little bits of
foam all over.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I would like a tool for freehand cutting 1" and larger fonts into blue 1/2
inch
Styrofoam.
Something fast and leaves a clean edge.
there are hot blades and then those little 12 volt jigsaws for gourd
carving but
I've never seen either.
Anyone have experience cutting fine patterns in sheet Styrofoam, mostly
lettering.
thanks

Drill press with an end mill for the cutter. Layout the letters, bring the
bit down and lock it, then move the foam around. You need a fairly large
table for it. It is also good to have some air blowing away the dust. The
dust is a real PITA as it is very clingy with static electricity. After
cutting, touch up can be done with sandpaper and the usual sanding blocks
for corners, etc.

We use an old Walker Turner DP for this but any can be use on a fairly high
speed. It is the first choice for people that make pre-production samples
of this type of material for a living.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

B a r r y

Bruce Barnett wrote:

There is also the hot wire foam cutter for $30.80

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82104

It cuts styrofoam up to 4 inches thick.

I think the advantage of these is that it doesn't leave little bits of
foam all over.

I've used hot wire cutters to cut TONS of r/c model airplane parts from
blue, pink, and white foam. Accuracy counted on the parts, and for my
money is the best way to cut the stuff.

Jigs can be built where the wire is following a wood form, if you need
to cut a bunch of identical parts, like letters.

Use proper ventilation when cutting, you're melting plastic.

Barry