John Pilhoefer

Default accurate drilling

I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for hardware.

For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a file to
massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the hardware I choose can
't have easy measurements, like 2 inches between centers.

Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a book or
web site that covers accurate hardware placement and drilling.

Thanks,
John

Morris Dovey

John Pilhoefer wrote:
I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for

hardware.

For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a
file to massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the
hardware I choose can 't have easy measurements, like 2 inches
between centers.

Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a
book or web site that covers accurate hardware placement and
drilling.

It depends on how much you do. The problem goes away completely if you
invest in a CNC router. If your volume doesn't justify that kind of a
expenditure, find someone who already has one and have them cut
drilling templates, either for entire workpieces or just for each
piece of hardware with its own hole pattern.

This latter approach still requires that you carefully locate the
template before drilling, but will ensure that all of the holes are in
exact/correct relative positions. If I were to do this, I think I'd
want the templates cut from 1/2" plywood and with appropriate holes
for insertion of hardened drill bushings (like the one that LV sells).

If you have trouble finding someone who'll do that for a reasonable
price, send me an e-mail with your location and I'll see if I can hook
you up with someone who will.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Leon

"John Pilhoefer" wrote in message
I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for hardware.

For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a file
massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the hardware I choose
can
't have easy measurements, like 2 inches between centers.

Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a book
or
web site that covers accurate hardware placement and drilling.

Thanks,
John

Morris covered the mass hole drilling end of the subject. If you are
talking 3 or 4 hinges for a project and are simply having trouble centering
the holes with the holes for a piece of hardware considering getting a self
centering Vix bit. This bit will use the hardware as the guide so that you
can drill holes perfectly centered in the hardware holes.

firstjois

Leon wrote:
[...]

Is that like me using a hole punch so I have an exact spot to place the
bit?

Josie

John Pilhoefer

I guess I should have given an example in my initial post.

My latest project is a cabinet with 12 pull handles. Of the 12 handles there
are three different designs with 3 different hole patterns.

So I am drilling 24 holes. I use tape to mark placement of the holes and
check measurements numerous times. After I drill I always find some of the
holes are off. I have to take a file and elongate the holes to move the
pulls up or down or side-to-side.

When the holes line up it's like bliss, they fit so snuggly. When I have to
get the file out I wonder if I am still doing fine workmanship, I feel I
should have been able to drill accurately in the first place.

Thanks for listening,
John

"firstjois" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"firstjois" wrote in message
considering getting a self centering Vix bit. This bit will use the
hardware as the guide so that you can drill holes perfectly centered
in the hardware holes.

Is that like me using a hole punch so I have an exact spot to place the
bit?

Josie

Sort of, but it will line up with the hole in the hinges.Not much help for
drawer pulls.
For hinges, I use a self centering punch that I bought over 30 years ago.
It is tapered to line up in the hinge screw holes, a tap with a hammer and
you have a place to set the drill.

For things like drawer pulls, it is worth taking the time to make up a
template. Most times a flat sheet of plywood with a 90Degree stop glued or
nail on one side to hang over the drawer front gives the constant height.
You can put another stop on the side to get the centering.

Duane Bozarth

John Pilhoefer wrote:

I guess I should have given an example in my initial post.

My latest project is a cabinet with 12 pull handles. Of the 12 handles there
are three different designs with 3 different hole patterns.

So I am drilling 24 holes. ...

One answer--VIX self-centering bit...

Second answer--make alignment jig(s)

Third answer--there are a myriad of "self-centering" jigs for the
precise purpose...
Pat Barber

Find a cabinet supply house and look for a plastic
template guide that is used just for what you describe.

I have even seen "simple" versions in Home Depot and
Lowes.

Most of the major hardware guys offer these templates.

John Pilhoefer wrote:
I guess I should have given an example in my initial post.

My latest project is a cabinet with 12 pull handles. Of the 12 handles there
are three different designs with 3 different hole patterns.

BobS

http://www.newdoors.com/prods/MT1.html

I have a similar set and worked great when I was putting on all the pulls on
my sil's kitchen.

Bob S.

"John Pilhoefer" wrote in message
I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for hardware.

For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a file
massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the hardware I choose
can
't have easy measurements, like 2 inches between centers.

Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a book
or
web site that covers accurate hardware placement and drilling.

Thanks,
John

Pat Barber

Here is what I was referring to:

http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cf...ing/showprod/1

$21 is worth every penny.

"firstjois" wrote in message

Leon wrote:

"John Pilhoefer" wrote in message
m...

[...]

John Pilhoefer

Thanks. I think that is what I was looking
John

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Here is what I was referring to:

http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cf...2C%20Pulls%20%
26%20Handles/CatID/Templates%2C%20Marking/showprod/1

$21 is worth every penny.

"firstjois" wrote in message

Leon wrote:

[...]

Gerald Ross

John Pilhoefer wrote:
I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for hardware.

For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a file to
massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the hardware I choose can
't have easy measurements, like 2 inches between centers.

Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a book or
web site that covers accurate hardware placement and drilling.

Thanks,
John

Not a jig, but works for a few handles (the jig mentioned sounds good
for multiple handles). Find two screws that fits the pull, cut the head
off and chuck it in a drill and holding it to a grinder make a point
where the head was. screw these into the pull and make a line where the
handle is to be, measure where one screw is to be on that line and place
one point there and the other on the line and press. This gives the
right spacing marked by the indentations. A brad point bit helps center
the hole on the mark. Sounds convoluted but works for me.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Some drink at the fountain of
knowledge . . . others just gargle.

Prometheus

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:50:47 GMT, "John Pilhoefer"
wrote:

I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for hardware.

For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a file to
massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the hardware I choose can
't have easy measurements, like 2 inches between centers.

Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a book or
web site that covers accurate hardware placement and drilling.

When I run several pieces that need to have the holes in the same
locations, I usually cut a piece of 3/4" ply into an "L" shape, and
clamp it to the drill press table. To make two holes, just use a
spacer. Do a test on a piece of scrap to make sure things are set
properly, and you're good to go. If you want to make sure they don't
move, you can use one of these things, too.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3794

I suspect you can find these elsewhere for less $$$, but this is what
a quick search turned up. They work really well.

Accurate threaded rod help needed [email protected] Metalworking 37 May 29th 05 11:59 PM
Drilling floor tiles TonyK UK diy 5 January 28th 05 11:22 PM
Drilling Speed and pilot drill questions Richard Ferguson Metalworking 20 December 20th 04 04:53 AM
SDS drilling, tips on how to use. Slugsie UK diy 8 October 9th 03 09:54 PM
Drilling through a steel pipe. Harold & Susan Vordos Metalworking 3 October 1st 03 06:24 PM