John Pilhoefer

I guess I should have given an example in my initial post.

My latest project is a cabinet with 12 pull handles. Of the 12 handles there
are three different designs with 3 different hole patterns.

So I am drilling 24 holes. I use tape to mark placement of the holes and
check measurements numerous times. After I drill I always find some of the
holes are off. I have to take a file and elongate the holes to move the
pulls up or down or side-to-side.

When the holes line up it's like bliss, they fit so snuggly. When I have to
get the file out I wonder if I am still doing fine workmanship, I feel I
should have been able to drill accurately in the first place.

Thanks for listening,
John

"firstjois" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"John Pilhoefer" wrote in message
I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for
hardware.

For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a
file to
massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the hardware I
choose can
't have easy measurements, like 2 inches between centers.

Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a
book or
web site that covers accurate hardware placement and drilling.

Thanks,
John

Morris covered the mass hole drilling end of the subject. If you are
talking 3 or 4 hinges for a project and are simply having trouble
centering the holes with the holes for a piece of hardware
considering getting a self centering Vix bit. This bit will use the
hardware as the guide so that you can drill holes perfectly centered
in the hardware holes.

Is that like me using a hole punch so I have an exact spot to place the
bit?

Josie