Mike Pio

Default How to price miter saw for sale

Hello,

I have a 12" Porter Cable 3802 miter saw I want to sell (no laser)
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732. It's about 4 years old
with moderate use. I'm trying to figure out how to price it. Found 2 on
EBay for around $100, but that's just two examples. Does this figure seem
about right?

TIA

-Mike

Roy Smith

Mike Pio wrote:
I have a 12" Porter Cable 3802 miter saw I want to sell (no laser)
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732. It's about 4 years old
with moderate use. I'm trying to figure out how to price it. Found 2 on
EBay for around $100, but that's just two examples. Does this figure seem
about right?

I can think of no better way to determine the fair market value of an
item than to see what it sells for in an open auction. To find two
examples of exactly the same item selling recently for about the same
price is about as good as it gets.

Clint

The only thing I'd add is that you need decide if you're selling it locally
vs. having it shipped. If I'm buying something off eBay, I'd take into
account the cost of shipping, especially for something like a power tool.
IMHO, $100 is cheap for that saw. Any chance you're up in Canada?

Clint

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Mike Pio wrote:
I have a 12" Porter Cable 3802 miter saw I want to sell (no laser)
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732. It's about 4 years

old
with moderate use. I'm trying to figure out how to price it. Found 2

on
EBay for around $100, but that's just two examples. Does this figure

seem
about right?

I can think of no better way to determine the fair market value of an
item than to see what it sells for in an open auction. To find two
examples of exactly the same item selling recently for about the same
price is about as good as it gets.

toller

Auctions on items difficult to ship don't mean much.
Used woodworking equipment usually goes, in newspaper ads, for about half of
the new price.

Duane Bozarth

Mike Pio wrote:

Hello,

I have a 12" Porter Cable 3802 miter saw I want to sell (no laser)
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732. It's about 4 years old
with moderate use. I'm trying to figure out how to price it. Found 2 on
EBay for around $100, but that's just two examples. Does this figure seem
about right?

What's replacement cost as starting point? If in good shape, I'd start
at from 60-80%. If it's too high for the market, it won't sell--you can
always come down, it's hard to recover if you initially set price too
low.

Of course, a lot is dependent on whether this is a "forced" sale or
not. I've also heard stories of a lot of such tools on eBay actually
being fenced goods so prices are low to move the goods. How much truth
if any is behind the allegations I have no way to judge...

Mike Pio

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Mike Pio wrote:
I have a 12" Porter Cable 3802 miter saw I want to sell (no laser)
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2732. It's about 4 years

old
with moderate use. I'm trying to figure out how to price it. Found 2

on
EBay for around $100, but that's just two examples. Does this figure

seem
about right?

I can think of no better way to determine the fair market value of an
item than to see what it sells for in an open auction. To find two
examples of exactly the same item selling recently for about the same
price is about as good as it gets.

No, sorry, I'm in Phoenix, AZ! Thanks for the opinion, though. If I sell
it on Ebay, I may have to give it away cheap. But that would kill me
because I've taken very good care of this tool.