res0orrw

Default BISQUIT JOINERS???

I am in need of a new biscuit joiner and am looking for recommendations. I
am hobbyist so Lamello is not a realistic option. Thinking more on the
lines of DeWalt or Porter-Cable

Thanks
Scott

David

I've got the 557 and for me it's a mixed bag. I hate the "give" between
the fence and the motor. I love the fence's flexibility (degrees of
movement). Would I recommend it? hmmm... If you don't need 135
degrees, go with the competition. Avoid Ryobi BJ like the plague. I'd
love a Lamello, but every time I have a functional tool i can't float a
replacement past SWMBO. If there's a tool I don't have, THEN she's more
than agreeable for a new acquisition. Don't you hate it when SWMBO is
so sensible.

Dave

res0orrw wrote:

I am in need of a new biscuit joiner and am looking for recommendations. I
am hobbyist so Lamello is not a realistic option. Thinking more on the
lines of DeWalt or Porter-Cable

Thanks
Scott

Robatoy

In article ZdLre.5753$1q5.932@trnddc02,
"res0orrw" wrote:

I am in need of a new biscuit joiner and am looking for recommendations. I
am hobbyist so Lamello is not a realistic option. Thinking more on the
lines of DeWalt or Porter-Cable

Thanks
Scott

When a tool is a better grade, you'll be more likely to use that tool.
In case of the Lamello, the joint is so nicely done, that it makes me
smile a little every time.... assuming you use their cookies and
adhesive dispenser (I use the MiniCol).
So it's a hundred-and-a-half more than the PC... I have seen them as low
as 349.00....worth every penny.
BUT....it's edging itself away from the 'tool' side of the equation and
heading more to towards the 'instrument' column.

One Lamello Classic..and a dozen 60" KBodyies.

It just doesn't get any better than this.

D. J.

res0orrw wrote:
I am in need of a new biscuit joiner and am looking for recommendations. I
am hobbyist so Lamello is not a realistic option. Thinking more on the
lines of DeWalt or Porter-Cable

Thanks
Scott

To each their own but I have a Makita and while it works great, it now
gathers dust. I just don't use it anymore and opt for pocket holes
anywhere the joint won't show. I don't even use it for edge gluing as I
prefer nothing and it hasn't let me down yet.

I hear the Porter Cable is good but I liked the Makita because it was
free of whistles and bells and the fence is easy to adjust.

Don
Bob G.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:09:06 -0500, "D. J."
wrote:

res0orrw wrote:
I am in need of a new biscuit joiner and am looking for recommendations. I
am hobbyist so Lamello is not a realistic option. Thinking more on the
lines of DeWalt or Porter-Cable

Thanks
Scott

To each their own but I have a Makita and while it works great, it now
gathers dust. I just don't use it anymore and opt for pocket holes
anywhere the joint won't show. I don't even use it for edge gluing as I
prefer nothing and it hasn't let me down yet.

I hear the Porter Cable is good but I liked the Makita because it was
free of whistles and bells and the fence is easy to adjust.

Don

================
I have owned a Porter Cable Type III for a couple of years now and it
does work... not much else I can say....

BUT like Don... Mine gathers a lot of dust..... hardly ever use it for
edge gluing table tops etc...

Pocket holes are not my favorite method but to be honest I also use
them more then my Bisquit jointer...

Bob G.
..
No

I'm new to "bisquits". I bought an inexpensive Freud. I looked at some
others (yellow and grey colored). The Freud seemed solid. I figured I didn't
need the extras bells and whistles of the more expensive units. Came with a
case couple of different blades, dust bag and biscuits. All for $79. Do I
get a gloat?

Never seen a Lamello except on TV - Its the red and gold colored one Norm
uses?

"res0orrw" wrote in message
I am in need of a new biscuit joiner and am looking for recommendations. I
am hobbyist so Lamello is not a realistic option. Thinking more on the
lines of DeWalt or Porter-Cable

Thanks
Scott

Lawrence Wasserman

res0orrw wrote:
I am in need of a new biscuit joiner and am looking for recommendations. I
am hobbyist so Lamello is not a realistic option. Thinking more on the
lines of DeWalt or Porter-Cable

Thanks
Scott

I have the DeWalt and am well satisfied with it. My observation form
reading this NG is that owners of either brand are by and large
satisfied with them.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering where B&D will go with
this and some of the other PC tools now that they've bought PC &
Delta?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Leon

I recommend the Type III as it is the latest and probably only new one
available but supposedly an improvement over their Type II. Personally I
have an early Type I. The type I was the original design and not a "fixed"
design, "read that as a Type II", that was designed to keep PC out of how
water with DeWalt. The Type I is probably the better of the 3.

wrote:

res0orrw wrote:
[...]

.

Patrick Conroy

"No" wrote in :

Came with a case couple of different blades, dust bag and biscuits.
All for $79. Do I get a gloat?

Sure.
And so do I for grabbing the DeWalt, new, for $99 at a Wooddorking Show a
couple of years ago. I like the DeWalt.

Never seen a Lamello except on TV - Its the red and gold colored one
Norm uses?

A'yup. (Assuming you're asking a question.)

I have switched to Lamello Biscuits, however. And find them much more
suitable than the "Tube o' Porter Cable Biscuits" I was grabbing from
Home Depot.
Hax Planx

Lawrence Wasserman says...

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering where B&D will go with
this and some of the other PC tools now that they've bought PC &
Delta?

To China of course.
bronzzy

I don't usually use biscuits but I believe makita is usually a good brand.
Don't always go for colour or price but what you are looking for in a tool.
If you want a tool that will last a long time buy one of the industrial
ones.
wrote:

res0orrw wrote:
[...]

Patriarch

Patrick Conroy wrote in
:

"No" wrote in :

Came with a case couple of different blades, dust bag and biscuits.
All for $79. Do I get a gloat?

Sure.
And so do I for grabbing the DeWalt, new, for $99 at a Wooddorking
Show a couple of years ago. I like the DeWalt.

I've had nothing but good experience with the DeWalt, although I paid more
than $99. It's reliable, repeatable, and does what it's supposed to do.
Fancier joints get made with other methods.

Reliability counts for more than good looks. Thank goodness.

Patriarch
Robatoy

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Reliability counts for more than good looks. Thank goodness.

Otherwise I'd be single. *s*

WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Reliability counts for more than good looks. Thank goodness.

Otherwise I'd be single. *s*

Or she just finds you handy.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

biscuit joiners habbi Woodworking 10 May 6th 05 08:13 PM
Lamello Biscuit Joiners Geoff Woodworking 6 January 25th 05 08:51 PM
Bisquit joiner revisited. sandman Woodworking 4 December 22nd 04 03:34 PM
workbench finished: Sam Allen's joiner's bench with Veritas twin-screw end vise Mike in Mystic Woodworking 26 November 22nd 03 05:56 AM