habbi

Default biscuit joiners

What are the pros and cons of the Craftsman/Ryobi style joiner as compared
to the more common style such as freud and dewalt. I spoke to a local
woodworker who specialized in custom furniture and he loves the craftman
because it is easier to use with one hand.

toller

Did he say why he used it one handed?

stoutman

I have a dewalt biscuit joiner. Couldn't be happier with it.

I don't see a one handed biscuit joiner (bj).

Why would you want a one handed bj when you could get a two handed bj?

"habbi" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of the Craftsman/Ryobi style joiner as compared
to the more common style such as freud and dewalt. I spoke to a local
woodworker who specialized in custom furniture and he loves the craftman
because it is easier to use with one hand.

no(SPAM)vasys

habbi wrote:
What are the pros and cons of the Craftsman/Ryobi style joiner as compared
to the more common style such as freud and dewalt. I spoke to a local
woodworker who specialized in custom furniture and he loves the craftman
because it is easier to use with one hand.

I had a Ryobi. The slots that it cut were so wide it did practically
nothing to aid in alignment.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Mike Granby

Why would you want a one handed bj
when you could get a two handed bj?

Err, I don't know where to start............

stoutman

There is always more control on your wood with a two handed bj than a one
handed bj.

More control = more satisfaction and enjoyment.

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why would you want a one handed bj
when you could get a two handed bj?

Err, I don't know where to start............

Rumpty

One handed operation is useful for tight locations etc. Keep in mind
biscuits are used for more than aligning boards for glue up.

--

Rumpty

"toller" wrote in message
Did he say why he used it one handed?

Larry Jaques

On 3 May 2005 19:03:13 -0700, the inscrutable "Mike Granby"
spake:

Why would you want a one handed bj
when you could get a two handed bj?

Err, I don't know where to start............

A one-handed job allows her to get more depth, and that's what counts!
Tickle them tonsils, boys!

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

VOTE LIBERTARIAN ON NOVEMBER 2, 2004 OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
SonomaProducts.com

I had a girlfriend with the same problem

RonB

"habbi" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of the Craftsman/Ryobi style joiner as compared
to the more common style such as freud and dewalt. I spoke to a local

1) One big con with the Ryobi is their tendancy to leave customers
high-and-dry with respect to parts. When replacement blades go to the
aftermarket you can expect to pay 3 to 4 times the price.

2) #1) above might be an advantage for Craftsman. While the quality of some
of their stuff varies from good to not-so-good, they do a pretty good job of
supporting customers with parts and service publications.

3) I have owned a Dewalt for 6-7 years and love it. I think its high point
is the head adjustment.

BTW - running a biscuit jointer one-handed can be hard on wood and bodies.
They are high-speed cutters and a slip or catch can result in a pretty hard
jerk right out of the stock..

RonB

Dave Hall

On Fri, 6 May 2005 12:06:49 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

"habbi" wrote in message
[...]

The craftsman and Ryobi mini-biscuit joiners are the same thing except
one is black and the other blue. For small biscuit needs these are
quite nice tools. I find the mini-biscuit that the use to be much
nicer for small projects that the mini biscuit used by whatever
standard joiner has the replacable mini-blade (either the frued or PC,
I forget). I believe that you can get the Ryobi mini and one of the
big name standard joiner for less than the joiner with the two
different size blades. Since you don't have to switch blades I would
think that this would be preferable in itself and for small jobs, like
I said, the Royabi is nicer to me.

That being said, the Ryobi is not acceptable for larger jobs. Even its
biggest biscuit is much smaller than a standard 0 biscuit and is tiny
beside a 20 biscuit. So for me, either get both or get a standard one
unless you only do small stuff like picture frames.

Dave Hall