Frank S.

Default Delta DP 350 (variable speed) problem

I have a DP 350 Variable speed drill press. I have had it for about 2
years with no problems........ until today.
I was adjusting the speed to high, and the check stopped turning. It
looks like a problem with the variable pulleys.
I recall a discussion on this news group about replacement pulleys from
Delta.
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks & Happy Woodworking
Frank

I had a problem with the pulleys on my unit, although it didn't totally
stop like yours. It ran roughly with no torque. I contacted Delta and
they seemed quite familiar with the problem and sent me out replacement
parts free of charge without any hassle.

I believe my unit was less than a year old at the time so I don't know
if there was a time limit for this specific problem. Couldn't hurt to
call the service number in the manual and see what they will do.

-Mark

Frank S.

stoutman wrote:

Do you regularly oil your pulleys? They should be oiled weekly.

"Frank S." wrote in message
t...

I have a DP 350 Variable speed drill press. I have had it for about 2
years with no problems........ until today.
I was adjusting the speed to high, and the check stopped turning. It
looks like a problem with the variable pulleys.
I recall a discussion on this news group about replacement pulleys from
Delta.
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks & Happy Woodworking
Frank

I have oiled it, not weekly, I don't use it weekly!

Frank

stoutman

If you read the instructions that came with your drill press it says to 'oil weekly'. It says nothing about how often you use it.

from page 15:

2. The variable speed pulleys should be oiled weekly

with a few drops of light machine oil in the two oil holes

(B) Fig. 31, located on top of the variable speed pulleys.

"Frank S." wrote in message
I have a DP 350 Variable speed drill press. I have had it for about 2
years with no problems........ until today.
I was adjusting the speed to high, and the check stopped turning. It
looks like a problem with the variable pulleys.
I recall a discussion on this news group about replacement pulleys from
Delta.
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks & Happy Woodworking
Frank

I have oiled it, not weekly, I don't use it weekly!

Frank

Charley

The original problem on this drill press was the steel center sleeve coming
out of the aluminum pulley half that slides on the motor shaft. Delta's free
fix for this is to send you a new sleeve and pulley half that are pinned
together with a 1/16" diameter roll pin. The original steel sleeve/aluminum
pulley were just pressed together and didn't stay very long (mine lasted
about 1/2 hour of run time).

I'm sure that the term "oiled weekly" assumes fairly heavy or nearly
constant use of the drill press. I use mine a couple of times a day average
and perform the oiling step about once per quarter, which feels about right
to me.

--
Charley

m...

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
If you read the instructions that came with your drill press it says to 'oil
weekly'. It says nothing about how often you use it.

from page 15:

2. The variable speed pulleys should be oiled weekly
with a few drops of light machine oil in the two oil holes
(B) Fig. 31, located on top of the variable speed pulleys.

"Frank S." wrote in message
. ..