Mike Halmarack

Default Variable speed controller for router.

Hi d-i-y'all
I just came out of hibernation and attempted to buy a variable speed
controller for my router from the only source I could find: Woodcraft.
That is "Woodcraft Supply Corp, an SBR Company of the USA".
It looks a lot like they ship internationally on their checkout forms.
This may be only to US service personnel though, as the process
wouldn't accept my post code when combined with a "State" of: "[Not
Applicable]".
Apparently the cave men were just as smart as we are but didn't have
such complicated forms.
Any road up, can someone tell me of any sources for these items in the
civilised world as an alternative?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
John Rumm

Mike Halmarack wrote:
Hi d-i-y'all
I just came out of hibernation and attempted to buy a variable speed
controller for my router from the only source I could find: Woodcraft.
That is "Woodcraft Supply Corp, an SBR Company of the USA".
It looks a lot like they ship internationally on their checkout forms.
This may be only to US service personnel though, as the process
wouldn't accept my post code when combined with a "State" of: "[Not
Applicable]".
Apparently the cave men were just as smart as we are but didn't have
such complicated forms.
Any road up, can someone tell me of any sources for these items in the
civilised world as an alternative?

How about something like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=HK00472&N=401

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike Halmarack

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:31:14 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
Hi d-i-y'all
I just came out of hibernation and attempted to buy a variable speed
controller for my router from the only source I could find: Woodcraft.
That is "Woodcraft Supply Corp, an SBR Company of the USA".
It looks a lot like they ship internationally on their checkout forms.
This may be only to US service personnel though, as the process
wouldn't accept my post code when combined with a "State" of: "[Not
Applicable]".
Apparently the cave men were just as smart as we are but didn't have
such complicated forms.
Any road up, can someone tell me of any sources for these items in the
civilised world as an alternative?

How about something like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=HK00472&N=401

Thanks very much John.
This could be just the thing I need. I can't really tell until I see
it in it's box with knob or switch attached. I take it that the one
displaying the extrovert posture is the male? Perhaps I'll buy the
breeding pair.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Andrew McKay

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:12:04 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

I just came out of hibernation and attempted to buy a variable speed
controller for my router from the only source I could find: Woodcraft.

I guess it might sound like a bad suggestion, but I wonder if it is
really worth the bother of purchasing an add-on to give your router
speed control?

In all seriousness you can get a half-decent router for £100 or less
(you'd pay a lot more for a good quality one obviously). And most of
the time I would think you'd want to wind the speed full up.

I would think a controller is likely to set you back £30+.

Just wondering whether buying a half-decent variable speed router
might be a better option for dealing with those situations where you
need to wind down the speed?

You could feasibly get shot of your existing router on ebay and buy a
new one complete with controller for roughly the same outlay I would
have thought.

Andrew

Mike Halmarack

wrote:

[...]

You're so right. I just have great difficulty parting with old tools.
The longer I have them the more difficult it is. Over 20 years for
this router it seems.
Every sensible option points to doing exactly what you say and putting
my existing router on eBay and getting a more appropriate one.
I wonder If I can bring myself to do it?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

John Rumm

Mike Halmarack wrote:

How about something like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=HK00472&N=401

Thanks very much John.
This could be just the thing I need. I can't really tell until I see
it in it's box with knob or switch attached. I take it that the one

I guess you will have to use you own knob so to speak...

clothes an optional extra it seems.

displaying the extrovert posture is the male? Perhaps I'll buy the
breeding pair.

There is actually three of them IIRC, mummy, daddy, and baby! (375W,
750W, 1500W)

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike Halmarack

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:11:32 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:

How about something like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=HK00472&N=401

Thanks very much John.
This could be just the thing I need. I can't really tell until I see
it in it's box with knob or switch attached. I take it that the one

I guess you will have to use you own knob so to speak...

Faulty and rather corroded, sad to say. As with the other items I'll
probably have difficulty letting go of it, even though a new one is
called for.

clothes an optional extra it seems.

displaying the extrovert posture is the male? Perhaps I'll buy the
breeding pair.

There is actually three of them IIRC, mummy, daddy, and baby! (375W,
750W, 1500W)

Far be it from me to break up the happy family. Hope they're not fussy
about the temperature of their porridge.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Andy Hall

wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:

How about something like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=HK00472&N=401

Thanks very much John.
This could be just the thing I need. I can't really tell until I see
it in it's box with knob or switch attached. I take it that the one

I guess you will have to use you own knob so to speak...

Faulty and rather corroded, sad to say. As with the other items I'll
probably have difficulty letting go of it, even though a new one is
called for.

You can probably get a cream for that.

Regarding the Woodcraft controller, if you were thinking of that...
it's probably 110v as well. I've seen one in one of their shops.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mike Halmarack

Thanks for the help and advice I've received on this.
As the speed controller suggested by John is quite inexpensive, I'm
going to buy it and try it.
When I take Andrews advice, which I most certainly shall, I can eBay
the old router along with the speed controller.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:

How about something like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=HK00472&N=401

Thanks very much John.
This could be just the thing I need. I can't really tell until I see
it in it's box with knob or switch attached. I take it that the one

I guess you will have to use you own knob so to speak...

Faulty and rather corroded, sad to say. As with the other items I'll
probably have difficulty letting go of it, even though a new one is
called for.

You can probably get a cream for that.

I had some but used it in the porridge.

Regarding the Woodcraft controller, if you were thinking of that...
it's probably 110v as well. I've seen one in one of their shops.

Very likely true. Good job you came along.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Hi d-i-y'all
I just came out of hibernation and attempted to buy a variable speed
controller for my router from the only source I could find: Woodcraft.
That is "Woodcraft Supply Corp, an SBR Company of the USA".
It looks a lot like they ship internationally on their checkout forms.
This may be only to US service personnel though, as the process
wouldn't accept my post code when combined with a "State" of: "[Not
Applicable]".
Apparently the cave men were just as smart as we are but didn't have
such complicated forms.
Any road up, can someone tell me of any sources for these items in the
civilised world as an alternative?

If you're handy with a soldering iron, Maplin do a drill speed controller
kit.

5.5 amp max, so should be ok for most routers.

Part Number is VE90 at 20 quid.

I used one with a drill in a bench stand for many years.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike Halmarack

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:05:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

If you're handy with a soldering iron, Maplin do a drill speed controller
kit.

5.5 amp max, so should be ok for most routers.

Part Number is VE90 at 20 quid.

I used one with a drill in a bench stand for many years.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Mike Halmarack wrote:
Thanks for the help and advice I've received on this.
As the speed controller suggested by John is quite inexpensive, I'm
going to buy it and try it.
When I take Andrews advice, which I most certainly shall, I can eBay
the old router along with the speed controller.

The simplest speed control is a lightbulb. Wire a holder in series,
with a switch to short the bulb, and put whatever bulb in gives you the
speed you want. Crude, but quick and free.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Thanks for the help and advice I've received on this.
As the speed controller suggested by John is quite inexpensive, I'm
going to buy it and try it.
When I take Andrews advice, which I most certainly shall, I can eBay
the old router along with the speed controller.

The simplest speed control is a lightbulb. Wire a holder in series,
with a switch to short the bulb, and put whatever bulb in gives you the
speed you want. Crude, but quick and free.

Trouble is you'll also reduce the torque. A decent speed controller will
maintain a low impedance supply.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m