C & M

Default Deft products

I picked up a can of Deft sanding sealer and didn't read it until I got it
home. By the sounds of this stuff it's a laquer base so that would make it
incompatible with MinWax polyurethane, right?

David

Yup. I made the mistake of coating hundreds of feet of baseboard with
Deft Sanding Sealer before I'd realized that's not the proper sealer
under poly. I went ahead with the poly top coats and haven't had any
problems. Would I recommend using it under poly? NO.

Dave

C & M wrote:

I picked up a can of Deft sanding sealer and didn't read it until I got it
home. By the sounds of this stuff it's a laquer base so that would make it
incompatible with MinWax polyurethane, right?

B a r r y

C & M wrote:
I picked up a can of Deft sanding sealer and didn't read it until I got it
home. By the sounds of this stuff it's a laquer base so that would make it
incompatible with MinWax polyurethane, right?

Lacquer based sanding sealers work fine UNDER most varnishes, including
polyurethane. The sealer will dry extremely fast, allowing you to
finish the sanding / sealing stages quickly.

You just don't want to use a lacquer product OVER a varnish.

Dewaxed shellac, such as Seal Coat, or shop-mixed stuff also makes an
excellent sanding sealer. Seal Coat is a universal sealer and barrier,
and is excellent to keep on hand.

Barry
David

That's what I thought, until I read the warning on the label, Barry.

B a r r y wrote:

Lacquer based sanding sealers work fine UNDER most varnishes, including
polyurethane.

B a r r y

David wrote:
That's what I thought, until I read the warning on the label, Barry.

Does Deft include some sort of funky ingredient that other lacquer-based
products don't?

Of course, if the label says don't do it, I'm with ya'!

Barry
David

The fine print is so small, I failed to notice the caveat when I
purchased the can. Brushable lacquer has to have SOMETHING funky in it
to provide better brushability.

Dave

B a r r y wrote:

David wrote:

That's what I thought, until I read the warning on the label, Barry.

Does Deft include some sort of funky ingredient that other lacquer-based
products don't?

Of course, if the label says don't do it, I'm with ya'!

Barry

B a r r y

David wrote:
The fine print is so small, I failed to notice the caveat when I
purchased the can. Brushable lacquer has to have SOMETHING funky in it
to provide better brushability.

But he said "Deft Sanding Sealer", not Deft Brushing Lacquer. They are
two different products, as Deft is a brand, not a product name.

Are we talking about different stuff?

David

No. I used deft sanding sealer (but it's lacquer AND it's brushable). I
know that Deft makes brushable lacquer as well.

I've still got the can. It says don't use it under poly.

Dave

B a r r y wrote:

David wrote:

The fine print is so small, I failed to notice the caveat when I
purchased the can. Brushable lacquer has to have SOMETHING funky in
it to provide better brushability.

But he said "Deft Sanding Sealer", not Deft Brushing Lacquer. They are
two different products, as Deft is a brand, not a product name.

Are we talking about different stuff?

Hax Planx

C & M says...

I picked up a can of Deft sanding sealer and didn't read it until I got it
home. By the sounds of this stuff it's a laquer base so that would make it
incompatible with MinWax polyurethane, right?

You can use it under the poly, but not over it.

Hax Planx

David says...

So you don't believe the mfgr's label?

I don't have the label in front of me, but the spec sheet on their web
site only forbids applying it _over_ an oxidizing finish. That would be
quite an omission if they make a product labeled sanding sealer then
neglect to tell us that you can't use by far the largest category of
finishing products (the many and varied polyurethanes) as top coats.
I'll admit I could be wrong, but I'll have to see it before I believe
it.
David

I grabbed the can from my cabinet, HP: here's the verbatim information:
"4. Finish: Apply 2 or more finish coats of Deft's Clear Wood Finish, or
other quality lacquer products. Do not apply varnishes over Deft's
Sanding Sealer."

There's nothing ambigious about that.

Dave

Hax Planx wrote:

David says...

So you don't believe the mfgr's label?

I don't have the label in front of me, but the spec sheet on their web
site only forbids applying it _over_ an oxidizing finish. That would be
quite an omission if they make a product labeled sanding sealer then
neglect to tell us that you can't use by far the largest category of
finishing products (the many and varied polyurethanes) as top coats.
I'll admit I could be wrong, but I'll have to see it before I believe
it.

C & M

After so much controversial opinion I received an e-mail which suggested
that I contact Deft Corp (Duh!!). Here's the complete quote from them:
"Thank you for your inquiry. No Lacquer Sanding Sealer is not compatible
with a polyurethane. We appreciate your considering Deft."

I guess that says it all. I also received another one from someone who said
that the adhesion gave up the ghost some months later, after it had seemed
so good at first.

"C & M" wrote in message
I picked up a can of Deft sanding sealer and didn't read it until I got it
home. By the sounds of this stuff it's a laquer base so that would make

it
incompatible with MinWax polyurethane, right?

David

I won't do it...

I won't do it...

I won't do it...

Ok! I'll do it... (I told you so) Just teasing. You did the right
thing. I had also called them several years ago, which is why I knew I
was correct. Besides, I had read the label which clearly says not to
use it under varnish. poly is varnish.

Dave

kroil news.verizon.net Home Repair 7 April 21st 05 02:44 PM
OT-Carter Products celebrates 75 years serving the woodworking industry Carter Woodworking 23 June 18th 04 07:34 PM
FS: Semiconductor Data Books [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 April 28th 04 10:02 PM
ML Campbell Finishing Products tailslid1 Woodworking 3 August 10th 03 04:30 AM
HELP! DEFT finish on Oak table puddled. donald girod Home Repair 6 July 7th 03 11:31 AM