donald girod

Default HELP! DEFT finish on Oak table puddled.

You have a mess on your hands. The poly will adhere if you sand the lacquer
reasonably well--the wrinkling is probably due to oil film left by the
minwax being lifted by the lacquer. You have to get a sound base for the
poly. However, you are apt to start cutting into the stain when you sand.
If you have sanded to the stained surface and it looks ok, then stain again,
and if it still looks ok, then just go with three coats of satin poly, with
400 or 600 grit between coats. Let the stain dry a long time, though.

There is probably no good reason ever to use Deft for anything. Lacquer is
not water resistant, it fights with various substrates, it isn't tough. It
does dry fast. You should only use it over water based stain or bare wood.

"Harriett Gordon" wrote in message
id...
I'm refinishing an old oak library table; (donno what was on it
originally). Have already used JASCO to strip the finish, sanded,
stained with MINWAX oil based stain. All looked good to that point.

Then I brushed on DEFT BRUSHING LACQUER. It went on smoothly on the
vertical surfaces (legs, sides), BUT THE TOP CURDLED or Puddled or
wrinkled- I donno what to call it, but it looks like the finish
couldn't adhere all over, but did in spots. I sanded with 400 grit
paper, and applied another layer of DEFT, but the same thing happened
again.
At this point, I've sanded back down to the stained surface. And am
wondering what to do next. Can I stain again & apply POLYURETHANE?
I'm sure I haven't totally removed the lacquer, and maybe two different
products will interact badly.
HELP !

mark Ransley

your laquer reacted to the uncured minwax, to use laquer contact minwax
to see how long it should cure, probably a few weeks. If you use poly
remove all laquer but them the legs will have a different finish. Id
contact minwax then your finish coat will be the same.

donald girod

Well, you can rub poly out and it looks pretty nice. And you want a table
top finish to be really tough.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Harriett Gordon wrote:
I'm refinishing an old oak library table; (donno what was on it
originally). Have already used JASCO to strip the finish, sanded,
stained with MINWAX oil based stain. All looked good to that
point.

Then I brushed on DEFT BRUSHING LACQUER. It went on smoothly on
the vertical surfaces (legs, sides), BUT THE TOP CURDLED or
Puddled or wrinkled- I donno what to call it, but it looks like
the finish couldn't adhere all over, but did in spots. I sanded
with 400 grit paper, and applied another layer of DEFT, but the
same thing happened again.
At this point, I've sanded back down to the stained surface. And
am wondering what to do next. Can I stain again & apply
POLYURETHANE? I'm sure I haven't totally removed the lacquer, and
maybe two different products will interact badly.
HELP !

Lacquer eats oil. Unless it is very, very, veeeeery dry. See
instructions on can.

You can put poly (ugh) on top of lacquer but not vice versa. You can
also put poly (ugh again) on top of oil. See instructions on can.

If you want to totally remove the lacquer, use lacquer thinner (it
ignites easily) and then sand.

Personally, I'll take lacquer to poly any day for appearance. Unless
you like gauche.

--
dadiOH
________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
Get it at http://www.gbronline.com/xico/
_________________________________

McQualude

donald girod spaketh...

There is probably no good reason ever to use Deft for anything.
Lacquer is not water resistant, it fights with various substrates, it
isn't tough. It does dry fast. You should only use it over water
based stain or bare wood.

Ah, but lacquer looks fantastic. A sheet of acrylic would be just as
waterproof as poly and would look about the same.
--
McQualude
McQualude

Harriett Gordon spaketh...

At this point, I've sanded back down to the stained surface. And am
wondering what to do next. Can I stain again & apply POLYURETHANE?

Here is how you can salvage the table... Sand the top down to bare wood and
restain, allow to dry thoroughly, apply a coat of blonde shellac and allow
to dry, then reapply lacquer. The shellac will seal the oil stain and
prevent the wrinkling.

Shellac can be bought off the shelf as a liquid, mix the shellac 1:1 with
alchohol before applying.
--
McQualude

Bob Bowles

Premixed shellac is not dewaxed and can interfere with topcoats.
Exception is Zinsser new Sealcoat, I believe that's the name, dewaxed
with unusually long shelf life of three years. I buy shellac flakes
and mix it fresh avoiding shel life issues.

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:09:01 GMT, McQualude
wrote:

Shellac can be bought off the shelf as a liquid, mix the shellac

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

wrote:
Shellac can be bought off the shelf as a liquid, mix the shellac 1:1 with
alchohol before applying.

Better yet, use Zinsser's new "Seal Coat" as it comes from the can.
Seal Coat is _dewaxed_ shellac already thinned to a 2 lb. cut.

Normal canned shellac has wax which can sometimes cause future top
coats from adhering.

One more tip, check the expiration date on the bottom of shellac cans
before buying!

Barry