Default shaving plywood edge

I made a newbie mistake. I'm building a "built-in" set of shelves out
of birch plywood -resting them on cleats nailed to the wall. The
shelves are going in a little aclove and are spanning the entire
distance. Unfortunately when I measured the space for the shelves I
measured the space along the wall where the back of the shelves would
be. However, now that we are installing the finished and urethaned
shelves I notice that the walls aren't entirely straight and the front
of the shelf is just a little to big to fit in nicely - maybe less than
1/8" too big.

What's the best way to shave down the edge of the plywood to make it
fit? The urethane is (mostly) not on the sides -just the top and
bottom. Should I use a file, finish sander with low grit, hand plane or
something else? I've got 5 shelves to do this to.

BTW, no tablesaw - I built these using only a circular saw and router,
so no fancy TS solutions please.

Thanks!

-Bob

alexy

David wrote:

Why use a straight edge when he said the wall is uneven? He needs to
sand to a scribed line, wouldn't you think?

But tricky to scribe to a line if it won't fit (have to hold at an
angle, I guess; less than ideal).

I'd guess that the walls are relatively straight, just not perfectly
square.

OP: if you go with a cutting approach rather than sanding, know that
the glue in the plywood will do a number on your blade, so be ready to
sharpen or toss the edge used. How about your circ saw with a clamped
straight-edge guide for the left side of the saw (assuming blade on
the right).

Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

For an 1/8" or so with least damage to finish my choice would be the
router with straight bit & a straight edge to guide it. For less than
1 1/16, a decent low-angle block plane with a sharp blade would
probably be OK too. (Did I mention a sharp blade)

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

I don't think there's a need to scribe - this is my first project and
its going into a closet that only my wife and I will see. The walls
aren't THAT wavy, and most of all I'm not working to those kind of
tolerances that I can follow a scribed line that is not straight. My
skills aren't there yet. I just need to shave off a straight line and
that's good enough.

I don't have a belt sander, but I've got a 1/4 sheet finish sander -
would that have enough power to do it? Wouldn't it just pull the
plywood apart at the edge?

Would either a sander or circular saw mess up the urethane finish just
next to the cut line?

alexy

David wrote:

alexy wrote:

But tricky to scribe to a line if it won't fit (have to hold at an
angle, I guess; less than ideal).

The workpiece NEVER "fits" when scribed. That's the whole point of
scribing--to MAKE it fit to the wall.

Dave

Normally, to scribe the right end, you would hold the piece in exactly
the position where it will go, but shifted, e.g. 1/2" to the left, and
scribe off of the right wall. But he can't do that if the board won't
fit in the alcove. He will have to hold it at an angle, which will
throw the scribing off, although not enough to make a difference, and
be a PITA.

alexy

David wrote:

If you use a circular saw, tape the good surface with 3m blue tape and
cut from the bottom side

OP: I like Dave's tape idea better than the knife cut I recommended --
less opportunity to screw up.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try the circular saw.

I've got 5 shelves so I actually might try a couple of different ways -
I figure this is a first project and should be a learning experience,
provided I don't make it look bad. Sounds like keeping the finish in
good condition is doable with some care - which was my main concern.
Thanks!

Just as a follow-up, I tried something not suggested here and it seems
to have worked pretty well. I bought a little drum-sander bit that is
for a Dremel tool and put it in my RotoZip. It buzzed down the edge of
the plywood very nicely and made it very easy to "tune" the plywood to
the wall.