alexy

I don't have a belt sander, but I've got a 1/4 sheet finish sander -
would that have enough power to do it?

Short answer: "No"
More accurate answer: "Yes, if you have enough time" (But that answer
word for rubbing with talc as well g)

Would either a sander or circular saw mess up the urethane finish just
next to the cut line?

Make sure the shelf is upside down when using your circ saw. And if
you can measure it accurately enough, use a knife to scribe a deep
line defining the cut on the topside, which should minimize any
tearing up of the top (which will be on the bottom when you cut).