Dr. Deb

Default Pocket Screws

If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

Thanks

Deb
Darrell Dorsey

The Kreg K2000 kit.
They've been around a while (and likely in the future) and know what they
are doing in terms of pocket holes. I like there screws as well.

The K2000 kit is a good value. If you can pick up one at one of the
woodworking shows, you can usually get some nice extras thrown in.

http://www.kregtool.com/catalogbypro...rodid=K2000-PP

Darrell

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

Thanks

Deb

Darrell Dorsey

Also, looks like Woodcraft has the kit on sale for $99. Sounds like a great
deal to me. I cant get the link to work, so dont hold me to that price.

Darrell

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

Thanks

Deb

The woodcraft website shows it "on sale" for $125.99.

Bob

Darrell Dorsey

wrote in message
oups.com...
The woodcraft website shows it "on sale" for $125.99.

Bob

Interesting, these guys:
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cc.../adtg/05290523

Have it listed for $89.99 now via Woodcraft. Maybe it's missing a few
parts. It was $99.99 last night.

Darrell

Unquestionably Confused

Darrell Dorsey wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

The woodcraft website shows it "on sale" for $125.99.

Bob

Interesting, these guys:
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cc.../adtg/05290523

Have it listed for $89.99 now via Woodcraft. Maybe it's missing a few
parts. It was $99.99 last night.

Nah, thats the K2000 bare. OP was speaking of the KP2000PP (Pro-pack)
which is still $125.99 on their site. Take a look beyond
amos.shop,com's site and go to Woodcraft. You'll see the different
catalog numbers.
Patriarch

"Dr. Deb" wrote in
:

If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

Are you going to do things the way I do things? That's not always the best
of ideas, you know. There are a lot of $400 things that looked like a
great idea hiding in dusty places in my shop.

The $35 Simp'l jig has certainly earned its keep, however, over the last
three years. When I do the kitchen cabinets, some day real soon now, he
promises his wife yet again, I'll likely borrow the neighbor's Kreg Pro
kit, since he's only offered about 10 times. Even better, he'll likely
come with it for the face frame build.

Buy the crews in bulk from McFeeley's, and make sure you have a good
selection. Running out of screws in mid-project is a pain. So is buying
them in little plastic bags at retail pricing.

Whatcha wanna build?

Patriarch
Slowhand

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Dr. Deb" wrote in
:

If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

Are you going to do things the way I do things? That's not always the
best
of ideas, you know. There are a lot of $400 things that looked like a
great idea hiding in dusty places in my shop.

I have one of those pocket hole jig things called the Facemaker. It works
oh yeah, it works great. It should for the cost. I make myself use it once
a year. However, I don't do alot of pocket hole joinery. Mostly on face
frames. If I did do alot of pocket hole joinery, I would definately highly
recommend the Facemaker.
SH

The $35 Simp'l jig has certainly earned its keep, however, over the last
three years. When I do the kitchen cabinets, some day real soon now, he
promises his wife yet again, I'll likely borrow the neighbor's Kreg Pro
kit, since he's only offered about 10 times. Even better, he'll likely
come with it for the face frame build.

Buy the crews in bulk from McFeeley's, and make sure you have a good
selection. Running out of screws in mid-project is a pain. So is buying
them in little plastic bags at retail pricing.

Whatcha wanna build?

Patriarch

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:06:07 -0700, "Slowhand" I'm@work wrote:

"Patriarch" wrote in message
.97.136...
"Dr. Deb" wrote in
:

Buy the crews in bulk from McFeeley's, and make sure you have a good
selection. Running out of screws in mid-project is a pain. So is buying
them in little plastic bags at retail pricing.

Whatcha wanna build?

Subject change: kinda!

The missus ants a chest of drawers built. Three by three draws, long
and deep for clothing. It's got to be pine.

Would pocket hole joinery work on the cabinet frame? Would it hold up
to the weight of the drawers - when full?, and the slamming of 'em
when they're closed?
Sure would save some effort! Hate chopping those mortices.

Patriarch

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Woodcrafter

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

My vote is for the Kreg K2000 kit.
Well made, easy to use, adaptable and most importantly, it gets used often,
doesn't sit in the cupboard catching dust!
My Kreg K2000 Review
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk2000.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)
- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer
- EZ Smart Guide System

Swingman

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

FWIW ... I own a Kreg, use it all the time for face frames, and have never
regretted the purchase. I also buy their screws in 5 pound boxes and go
through them like ham n' eggs.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

DJ Delorie

I, too, suggest the K2000. Yes you can get by with just a mini-jig,
and I do use the mini for certain tasks, but the convenience and speed
of the full K2000 is worth it.

I also get the big boxes of Kreg screws. Also, a good screw to use
with it is the #10 PocketMax screws from McFeelys, which is excellent
for joining two-by material. I used a lot of those building my shed
(roof rafters go up EASY with pocket screws!).

IMHO the regular McFeely pocket screws aren't as good as the Kreg,
mostly because the larger head means they stick out of the pocket hole
more often (or at least the hole plugs fit worse), and they don't have
the integral washer so there's less bearing surface.

A photo of the K200 used as a self-clamping large "mini":
http://www.delorie.com/photos/treehouse/IMG_1258.JPG
Easier to move the jig around than the wood sometimes.
Stephen M

I too have the Kreg and love it. What I did not realize until I owed one is
that it is a "system". The geometry of the Jig, the bit with the stop collar
*and* the specific geometry of the screws make it work.

It sum of the parts is much more developed than simply counterboring a hole
at 20 degrees or so.

It's not a replacement for traditional joinery in fine woodworking, but it
has it's place and it's great at what it does.

-Steve