toller

Default Pocket screws AND biscuits?

I am building a cabinet that is way too big for my clamps, and doesn't have
parallel sides anyhow; so gluing the shelves in dados would be difficult.

When assembling the shelves, I would like to put in a few biscuits to make
sure the alignment is correct, and use pocket screws to actually hold it
together. I have had problems in the past getting things perfectly even
with just pocket screws, but the biscuits ought to fix that.

Any reason this is a bad idea? (other than the obvious one that pocket
screws are inherently improper)

Woodcrafter

Grab yourself some assembly squares from Rockler.
I've got about 4 sets and they are ideal for this task, and for general box
and case construction
http://tinyurl.com/9mfzo

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)
- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer
- WoodHaven Biscuit Master
- EZ Smart Guide System

"toller" wrote in message
I am building a cabinet that is way too big for my clamps, and doesn't

have
parallel sides anyhow; so gluing the shelves in dados would be difficult.

When assembling the shelves, I would like to put in a few biscuits to make
sure the alignment is correct, and use pocket screws to actually hold it
together. I have had problems in the past getting things perfectly even
with just pocket screws, but the biscuits ought to fix that.

Any reason this is a bad idea? (other than the obvious one that pocket
screws are inherently improper)

JGS

Hi Toller,
I have noticed that when using pocket hole screws, unless the two pieces are
tightly clamped, there is always a bit of movement with the last few
revolutions of the screw driver. I do not think biscuits will keep the shelf
from creeping a bit. I think the "L's" that Dean mentions or a block clamped
above the shelf are in order. JG

toller wrote:

I am building a cabinet that is way too big for my clamps, and doesn't have
parallel sides anyhow; so gluing the shelves in dados would be difficult.

When assembling the shelves, I would like to put in a few biscuits to make
sure the alignment is correct, and use pocket screws to actually hold it
together. I have had problems in the past getting things perfectly even
with just pocket screws, but the biscuits ought to fix that.

Any reason this is a bad idea? (other than the obvious one that pocket
screws are inherently improper)

Doug Miller

In article , "Woodcrafter" wrote:
Grab yourself some assembly squares from Rockler.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

The "3-D Square" from Jevons Tool Co.
http://www.jevonstoolco.com/_wsn/page3.html
is:
a) machined aluminum alloy (vs. molded plastic),
b) nearly dead-on square (vs. having a nodding acquaintance with square), and
c) the _same_price_ as Rockler's inaccurate Clamp-Its if you buy it at the
Woodworking Show.

Rockler charges $12 ea ($10 ea for four or more); Jevons charges $50 for a set
of four, and show pricing is $40.

I've got about 4 sets and they are ideal for this task, and for general box
and case construction

Only if you have a very relaxed definition of "square"...

If you think they're ideal, you must not have ever checked them. I bought a
pair, got them home, and checked them by setting them up thus _| |_ on the
table saw (closest thing to a dead-flat surface I have). With the "squares"
touching at the bottom, I measured a 0.018" gap at the top.

Took them back to Rockler to exchange them... and found that I had actually
gotten one of the "better" sets they had; most of the others were much worse.
Left with a refund instead of an exchange. And bought the Jevons squares at
the next woodworking show.

[Disclaimer - no connection at all to Jevons Tool Co except as an *extremely*
satisfied customer - fabulous product.]

--
Regards,

DJ Delorie

I did a bathroom vanity with twin tenons and pocket screws. The
screws were useful during test assemblies (to substitute for glue) and
acted as clamps during the final glue-up.

Biscuits and pocket-screws have worked great for me, for just the
reasons you suggest. As others suggest, neither, nor both, are a
panacea. Especially if you want really precise locating, it takes care
and attention.

Location and number of screws is also important, depending on the
materials being joined, to get a tight joint. At least, unlike the
famous "brads while the glue dries", the screws can be removed, and
reused.

Inherently, pocket screws are quite proper. :') IMHO.

John

Woodcrafter

Only if you have a very relaxed definition of "square"...
With the "squares"
touching at the bottom, I measured a 0.018" gap at the top.

0.018" gap is relaxed enough for me
Never had a problem using them on any woodworking tasks.

That kind of accuracy is not going to be easily visible on shelf alignments
at least.
I use them all time on box and drawer construction and never had any
noticeable problems, but as you say, we all have different ideas of how
"square", square needs to be
The item you have menioned looks like a worthy alternative however.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)
- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer
- WoodHaven Biscuit Master
- EZ Smart Guide System

Wes Stewart

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:03:25 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Woodcrafter" wrote:
Grab yourself some assembly squares from Rockler.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

The "3-D Square" from Jevons Tool Co.
http://www.jevonstoolco.com/_wsn/page3.html
is:
a) machined aluminum alloy (vs. molded plastic),
b) nearly dead-on square (vs. having a nodding acquaintance with square), and
c) the _same_price_ as Rockler's inaccurate Clamp-Its if you buy it at the
Woodworking Show.

Rockler charges $12 ea ($10 ea for four or more); Jevons charges $50 for a set
of four, and show pricing is $40.

I've got about 4 sets and they are ideal for this task, and for general box
and case construction

Only if you have a very relaxed definition of "square"...

Hey, we agree!

I bought a couple of these POS and contrary to usual practice, took
their word for it that they were "square." My bad.

Doug Miller

In article , Wes Stewart wrote:

Hey, we agree!

I bought a couple of these POS and contrary to usual practice, took
their word for it that they were "square." My bad.

So how soon are you ordering your 3-D Squares from Jevon? :-)

I gotta tell ya, they're great. I love 'em - wish I'd had those years ago.

--
Regards,

Tom Watson

On Wed, 25 May 2005 04:26:26 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I am building a cabinet that is way too big for my clamps, and doesn't have
parallel sides anyhow; so gluing the shelves in dados would be difficult.

When assembling the shelves, I would like to put in a few biscuits to make
sure the alignment is correct, and use pocket screws to actually hold it
together. I have had problems in the past getting things perfectly even
with just pocket screws, but the biscuits ought to fix that.

Any reason this is a bad idea? (other than the obvious one that pocket
screws are inherently improper)

It's kinda like you're using two sloppy things to make a perfect
thing.

The biscuits will get you close, but then you will have to clamp to
get things close enough.

The pocket screws are really only temporary clamps, but not the kind
of clamps that you would use for alignment.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)