blueman

Default Recommendations for good quality and value home workshop miter saw

Looking for a miter saw to complement my trusty table saw in my small
home workshop. I don't think I will have budget or space for a RAS, so
I want to be able to do as much as possible between the table saw and
miter saw.

Primary use will be for moldings, decks/siding, and various chop saw
type stuff.

I am looking for something better than a sub-$100 cheapo saw and
something cheaper than the $400+ high end professional versions.

Not sure what combination of the following to go for considering my
general use, maximum value/flexibility criteria.
- 10" vs. 12"
- CMS vs SCMS
- Laser?
- Dual bevel?
- Favored brands and models

Any specific product recommendations?

Thanks
No

I am of the opinion that a 10" is inherently more accurate than a 12". The
12" has a bit of blade deflection when spinning at high speed. You can save
a couple of bucks getting a 10". To compensate for the smaller blade I think
you would want a SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013. Its about $400 so may be
out of reach for your budget. Dewalt is popular and available everywhere.
Hitachi has some good miter saws as I recall. I think laser is a waste of
$$$. The 1013 is dual bevel, I findf it handy.

I would suggest adding a saw stand. It adds to the usefulness immensely in
my opinion. I have one from trak-rac. An older version from what's at their
web site. Its excellent. http://www.tracrac.com/workstation/workstation.html

"blueman" wrote in message
Looking for a miter saw to complement my trusty table saw in my small
home workshop. I don't think I will have budget or space for a RAS, so
I want to be able to do as much as possible between the table saw and
miter saw.

Primary use will be for moldings, decks/siding, and various chop saw
type stuff.

I am looking for something better than a sub-$100 cheapo saw and
something cheaper than the $400+ high end professional versions.

Not sure what combination of the following to go for considering my
general use, maximum value/flexibility criteria.
- 10" vs. 12"
- CMS vs SCMS
- Laser?
- Dual bevel?
- Favored brands and models

Any specific product recommendations?

Thanks

Woodchuck34

I have the Dewalt DW705, which is a 12" compound miter saw, but it is
not double bevel and does not slide. I don't know that I really miss
the double bevel feature and its over $100 cheaper then its double
beveling brother. Its a great saw and I wouldn't give it up.

Chuck

Jim

The first CSMS I used was a Hitachi 8" & I've always loved it. Before
that we had a 12" Makita chop saw which wasn't nearly as clean cutting
or as versatile.

There was recently (this year) a magazine article with a run down of a
bunch of CSMS's - Wood Magazine? Workbench? I think they gave top
honors to the Bosch, but I can't remember. I do recall it was pricey,
but had some very nice features. As I recall the biggest fault was
changing blades was a drag.

One of the biggest drawbacks to the Dewalts I looked at during the last
couple of shows was that all of them had detents that couldn't be
over-ridden. For picture frames, that might be OK, but for trim in a
house where nothing is ever quite square, it's a real pain, IMO. A lot
of the other CSMS's suffer from this same problem.

The other problem some saws face is they can't hit the same angles in
both directions. Not as common nor an insurmountable problem, but I've
screwed up more than once trying to reverse/upside down cut an angle.
Tear out can also be an issue.

As with any other tool, even if it busts the budget a little, I'd go
with best quality one I can. I might regret it for a week or a month
while trying to rebalance the budget, but every time I've tried to save
money on a tool by sacrificing quality/features, I wind up regretting
it for years.

Jim

Ron Truitt

I bought a Dewalt 10 inch a few weeks ago and really like it.

Mine has no laser but I do not miss it and does not slide but handles
molding or stock cut off with no problem. It also has a brake which
lessens the noise duration.

I screw it down to a wood outfeed table when I'm ready to do the miter
cuts and away I go.

RonT

Never Enough Money

Blueman, I don't know the answer to your question about which miter saw
to buy. I have the 12 inch compound DeWalt. However, I think if I was
doing it again, I'd stess the dust colection features/ Using my DeWalt
inside my garage/workshop creates a dust strom. I'm in the process of
building a giant hood that connects to my dust collection system. There
msut be a better way...

SBO

I have a Sears 8 1/2'' sliding miter saw (092 828 594 10) and I am very
satisfed of it.
See:
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158059769

It is 700$ can, but if you are patient it will be on sale soon or late for
the half price.

I suggest also the following brands :
DeWalt, Makita, Delta.

I don't suggest theses brands
Mastercraft, General (they use to do good tools but not for miter saw)

I think laser is a gadget

I prefer sliding saw because you can cut large bord. If you don't buy a
sliding saw go for a 12'' saw.

Avoid cheap model because they use to include a poor quality blade.

Check for model that can be connected with a vacuum.

Good luck!

ender...