Newshound

Default Spray Gun Cleanup

I'm finally starting to spray some finishes with my new HVLP conversion gun.
Works nicely, but so far I've used the time saved doing cleanup of the gun.
What a PITA! I'm wondering about any 'tricks of the trade', or how other
handle this. Does it work to simply spray some clean thinner (or some other
solvent) for a few seconds? I'm wondering how others approach this issue.
Thanks.

nospambob

Visit www.homesteadfinishing.com and www.targetcoatings.com and seach
for cleaning for starters.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:51:00 GMT, "Newshound"
wrote:

I'm finally starting to spray some finishes with my new HVLP conversion gun.
Works nicely, but so far I've used the time saved doing cleanup of the gun.
What a PITA! I'm wondering about any 'tricks of the trade', or how other
handle this. Does it work to simply spray some clean thinner (or some other
solvent) for a few seconds? I'm wondering how others approach this issue.
Thanks.

David

Usually I spray water bornes, but even when using my HVLP for solvent
based material, I don't find cleanup any big deal; and I'm an impatient
person when it comes to clean up. Run the appropriate solvent through
the gun; shaking and swirling the gun to get solvent to the top of the
cup. Be sure to open the nozzle quite wide. In 2+ years usage, I've
found no appreciable build up of finish inside my Accuspray gun. The
only area where finish builds up is on the outside of the tip, between
coats. I retract the needle and knock off the offending buildup with my
fingernail.

Dave

wrote:

I'm finally starting to spray some finishes with my new HVLP conversion gun.
Works nicely, but so far I've used the time saved doing cleanup of the gun.
What a PITA! I'm wondering about any 'tricks of the trade', or how other
handle this. Does it work to simply spray some clean thinner (or some other
solvent) for a few seconds? I'm wondering how others approach this issue.
Thanks.

when I'm done spraying I strip the gun down and drop the parts in a
container of the appropriate thinner until I can get back to them to
do a thorough cleanup.