DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Spray Gun Cleanup (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/107710-spray-gun-cleanup.html)

Newshound May 29th 05 01:51 PM

Spray Gun Cleanup

I'm finally starting to spray some finishes with my new HVLP conversion gun.
Works nicely, but so far I've used the time saved doing cleanup of the gun.
What a PITA! I'm wondering about any 'tricks of the trade', or how other
handle this. Does it work to simply spray some clean thinner (or some other
solvent) for a few seconds? I'm wondering how others approach this issue.
Thanks.

nospambob May 29th 05 07:22 PM

Visit www.homesteadfinishing.com and www.targetcoatings.com and seach
for cleaning for starters.

David May 29th 05 10:51 PM

Usually I spray water bornes, but even when using my HVLP for solvent
based material, I don't find cleanup any big deal; and I'm an impatient
person when it comes to clean up. Run the appropriate solvent through
the gun; shaking and swirling the gun to get solvent to the top of the
cup. Be sure to open the nozzle quite wide. In 2+ years usage, I've
found no appreciable build up of finish inside my Accuspray gun. The
only area where finish builds up is on the outside of the tip, between
coats. I retract the needle and knock off the offending buildup with my
fingernail.

Dave

[email protected] May 30th 05 03:08 AM

wrote:

I'm finally starting to spray some finishes with my new HVLP conversion gun.
Works nicely, but so far I've used the time saved doing cleanup of the gun.
What a PITA! I'm wondering about any 'tricks of the trade', or how other
handle this. Does it work to simply spray some clean thinner (or some other
solvent) for a few seconds? I'm wondering how others approach this issue.
Thanks.

when I'm done spraying I strip the gun down and drop the parts in a
container of the appropriate thinner until I can get back to them to
do a thorough cleanup.