HarryM

Default SPRAY POLY

I go through spray poly by the case building hardwood toys. Sometimes I use
an automotive touch-up gun, but most of the time I use the spray cans
because I can get into smaller spaces. Never noticed any odor, though. I
use Varithane @ $6+ per can. And I spray it outdoors on a mobile rack. The
semi-gloss spray coat is the final finish, after two coats of brush-on gloss
have been sanded smooth. Been using this process for 19 years now. harrym

"Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT" wrote in message
In the final stage of the cigar store Indian bank. Painted, coin
box and chute done, just need a finish. I was figuring on water-base
poly, more user friendly, water cleanup, etc. The local paint store had
it at $16.95 a quart. Now I knew I've seen it lower, so passed. Sure
enough, the local Ace Hardware had it at $12.95. Possibly a dollar or
so cheaper at Lowes, but the closest is 9-10 miles down the road, no
savings there. HD about the same, but I don't shop there.

But, I noticed spray cans of oil-base poly at $3 somehing a can.
Never used that before, so decided to give it a shot. Gaah. The dog
brought up half of a very dead rabbit the other day. This stuff almost
made the rabbit smell good. I had a fan blowing the fumes away from me
and out the door of the shop, and I could still smell that vile stuff.
Put on my dust mask (don't have a vapor mask), could STILL smell it.
The bottom of the bank, wound up getting one very light coat of poly,
probably about 10 seconds total spraying time. The can will be
deepsixed. Nasty.

The bank is getting brush-on poly.

JOAT
Let's just assume you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 25 Jun 2003. Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...All/page4.html