Bill Davis Jr

Default Benchtop Thickness Planer

I have been looking for some reviews for benchtop thickness planers,
Dewalt, Delta, Rigid. Something I could go out and buy locally in my
area.

I found a couple of reviews trough Google on the Dewalt 735, but
basically all they seem like they were taken off of Amazon's webite
and applied to them to their site.

Are there any good sites with Benchtop Thickness Planer reivews or
recent magazine articles?

Thanks,

Bill
arw01

Are there any good sites with Benchtop Thickness Planer reivews or
recent magazine articles?

The DW735 comes out on top every time, the delta for less money a close
second, the next dewalt a close third.

I have the DW735, have not run a whole lot, but just planed down for a
FIL 7 10' pine boards to 13/16" from rough. Didn't take much off each
pass, but they were beautiful when done. Filled a full bag of
shavings.

Alan

Don't forget to factor in the cost of replacement knives. I believe
that the Dewalts are quite pricey and don't last very long.

JuanKnighter

I think you are going to get a better finish with the Dewalt because it has
3 blades instead of two like the Delta. Probably same reason blades cost
more... you get 3 instead of 2 in a package.

Patriarch

Bill Davis Jr wrote in
:

I have been looking for some reviews for benchtop thickness planers,
Dewalt, Delta, Rigid. Something I could go out and buy locally in my
area.

Not a review, but a personal experience. I have had good to excellent
experience with my Ridgid TP1300. A well-made machine, with an intelligent
design. When I did something really stupid, it managed to break a $3,
user-replaceable part, rather than smoke the motor.

What Doug said about DeWalt blades seems to work for these, as well,
although I stocked up several sets when the Emerson transition was
happening. The new machine is the same design as the old, and seems every
bit as strong.

The Deltas I've used don't seem as sturdy, but that's just one person's
opinion.

Patriarch
gthornhi

I've got the 22-580 Delta. I haven't used it a lot and don't have a
lot of planer experience but have really liked this machine. I can't
see any snipe to speak of unless I went to heavy on the cut. With the
dust collector attachment, the machine ran very clean. I picked up a
refurbished one from toolking.com for $299 (about 2 months ago). The
two speed feature is nice, as well as a zero stop mechanism that lets
you set up the depth of cut fairly easily by letting you know when the
knives are exactly at the same level as the top of the board.

I read up on the Dewalt when I bought the Delta as I didn't have a
personal preference on which one to buy. I had read a couple of
complaints that there were some plastic gears or some other type of
mechanism that broker in the Dewalt fairly easily and weren't too cheap
to replace. That was enough to sway my decision.

Good luck.

WANTED: THICKNESS PLANER IN HOUSTON AREA Tiny Woodworking 0 March 14th 05 02:42 AM
Delta Thickness planer questions Nicky Woodworking 2 March 9th 05 12:36 PM
Thickness planer: Reynaud Woodworking 3 January 30th 05 05:03 AM
Delta 12" Portable Thickness Planer or 22" Shop Built Thickness Sander? tillius Woodworking 11 December 21st 04 12:27 AM
Thickness Planer: Do I need the two speeds of the DW735? bscott03 Woodworking 19 December 16th 04 07:53 PM