Reynaud

Default Thickness planer:

Has anyone used the cheap light weight thickness planers from Delta , King ,
etc.? I'm looking for an planer that will be used on softwood mostly. Would
these do the job? TIA.

Rey

Paul Kierstead

Reynaud wrote:
Has anyone used the cheap light weight thickness planers from Delta , King ,
etc.? I'm looking for an planer that will be used on softwood mostly. Would
these do the job? TIA.

Naw, no one here uses any of those. I don't even thing it has been
discussed before.

Oh, ok, that is sarcasm. You really should try a google search (use
google groups, groups.google.com); this has been discussed to death.
Actually, you should probably try entering the model numbers you are
interested in since there are a zillion of them and they all have been
discussed to death.

OK
Phisherman

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:13:51 -0600, "Reynaud" wrote:

Has anyone used the cheap light weight thickness planers from Delta , King ,
etc.? I'm looking for an planer that will be used on softwood mostly. Would
these do the job? TIA.

Rey

I don't know any planers designed specifically for softwoods. The 12"
planers are lower cost than 15", but that depends on what you want to
plane. I have a Makita planer that does a good job, but there are
others. They all snipe, but some snipe more than others. I guess by
"light weight" you mean "portable?" With any surface planers dust
collection is important. Stick with quality brands.
Will

Reynaud:

I have the King 12 1/2 " . You get a little snipe at the ends of the
boards - but it works fine. Got mine a year ago. So far so good.

I have used it on Pine, Walnut Maple, Cherry, Yellowheart, Purpleheart,
butternut, Oak, Basswood and even satinwood (Satinwood's even tough to
plane by hand).

Got it at a woodshow for around $300 CDN - with an extra set of knives.
Haven't even sharpened or turned over the first set of knives yet.

As for the minor snipe marks at the end? - I made one of those drum
sander kits from Nicks
http://nicks.ca/
The poor man's jointer (Pauper actually). That cleans up the wood
beautifully.