Unquestionably Confused

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Bill Davis Jr" wrote in message

On 22 May 2005 16:00:12 -0700, wrote:

Don't forget to factor in the cost of replacement knives. I believe
that the Dewalts are quite pricey and don't last very long.

That was one of my concerns with the Dewalt.

Are there any third party knives that will fit the 735 and last
longer?

DW does not want that to happen. Parts are a profit center.

I've seen the DeWalt knife set priced fairly reasonably. When I say
reasonable I take into consideration that

1) the blades are reversible

2) the blades have aligning pins to simplify replacement,

3) on the 735, I'm told that it is possible shift the blades laterally
on the cutter head. If you hit a piece of grit, etc. that nicks the
blade set you can shift two of the blades in opposite directions,
tighten them down and you're good to go.

Seems to me to be a distinct advantage over the other brands and models
that either don't have the indexing or don't allow for lateral shift.

That said, I'm looking for a planer and considering the 735 or the
two-speed Delta.