Dica

Default which belt sander to buy

i should first of all say that i am cross posting. i originally posted this
on alt.woodworking, but this newsgroup seems to have way more users and this
is where i though i was posting originally, so i post here again. my
apologies for the cross post.

i've been waiting for canadian tire to put their belt sander on sale for
about the last month since mine old one blew up. today it came on sale, but
home hardware has also got one on sale for the same price ($50 CDN). i've
never heard of the home hardware make (tmt - model # tt11011). here's the
specs:

canadian tire Mastercraft 4.5A 3x21-in. Belt Sander
a.. Zippered dust collection bag
a.. Sands flush to vertical surfaces
a.. Quick-release belt tension lever and single knob tracking adjustment
a.. Auxiliary handle for two-handed operation
a.. Best used for sanding flat surfaces
a.. Lock-on button
a.. Powerful 4.5A motor
a.. Single speed (660 ft/min)
a.. Uses 3 x 21" sanding belt

home hardware tmt
6.5 amp
3X21
belt speed of 800 fpm

the tmt sounds more powerful, but how reliable? anybody recommend a model?

tks

Randy and Ann

I'm glad to see you posted this. I was just coming to the news group to ask
the same question. My Craftsman burnt up (won't get another one of those)
and I was just looking at the Porter Cable. I would appreciate the knowledge
and advice of the group for brand and model. I'll use it for projects around
the
house; nothing too large. Price under $200.00 preferably.
Thanks in advance. Randy

"Dica" wrote in message
[...]

I recommend the Porter-Cable 3 x 21 vs with dust bag. I have six units
here at the school and we have put them through their paces. I have not
had any service problems and I like the balance and the performance of
the units.

Mike

Duane Bozarth

Dica wrote:

i've been waiting for canadian tire to put their belt sander on sale for
about the last month since mine old one blew up. today it came on sale, but
home hardware has also got one on sale for the same price ($50 CDN). i've
never heard of the home hardware make (tmt - model # tt11011). here's the
specs:

I have no suggestions at that price point, I think. My old B&D died
finally after 30 yrs and I have found no really satisfactory 3x24
replacement. I finally bought a Makita (sorry, can't tell you the model
number ottomh). It's ok, but the balance, while not real bad, isn't as
good as the motor-between-the-wheels B&D and despite representations by
the vendor to the contrary, it's one of the 4" models cut down to be a
3" sander so there's a lot of overhang--which contributes mightily to
the imbalance. It works well, however, and the P-C models all seem to
be either huge or have the really tall handle/bag arrangement that I
just do not like.

If it were 3x24 instead of 3x21, I would probably have tried one of the
3-wheel DeWalt guys...it probably isn't too much higher than what you're
talking about and I'd suspect would be at least as reliable as those you
mention which to me at least are "no names", not being a northener, of
course...
Lew Hodgett

Dica wrote:

i've been waiting for canadian tire to put their belt sander on sale for
about the last month since mine old one blew up. today it came on sale, but
home hardware has also got one on sale for the same price ($50 CDN).

snip

At that price point, "good" and "belt sander" are mutually exclusive terms.

After destroying at least 6 belt sanders within 18 months, you name the
brand, I destroyed it including the cheap Porter-Cable units, I will
offer the following:

If you truly need a belt sander, there is only one, the Porter Cable 5**
series. (Model depends on whether you want dust bag)

Every thing else will fail before the 5** is getting warmed up.

Cost these days is about $450 USD.

Lew

Lobby Dosser

"Randy and Ann" wrote:

I'm glad to see you posted this. I was just coming to the news group
to ask the same question. My Craftsman burnt up (won't get another one
of those) and I was just looking at the Porter Cable. I would
appreciate the knowledge and advice of the group for brand and model.
I'll use it for projects around the
house; nothing too large. Price under $200.00 preferably.
Thanks in advance. Randy

Ryobi 3x21. Had it for about 10(?) years. Been dropped, thrown, had paint
spilled on it, had stuff dropped on it. Keeps on truckin'. Variable speed
and dust bag. Easy to handle. Easy to clamp to the Workmate. 'Course, this
assumes they haven't cheapened them up lately.

Olebiker

I have had a Ryobi for several years and love it. It seems to be what
you are looking for. It is compact, easy to handle, and belt tracking
is easily adjustable. I have used belt sanders that cost more than
twice what this one does and have been disppointed. Bosch makes one
that looks identical to the Ryobi.

Dick Durbin

Randy and Ann

I appreciate all the information thus far. Any recommendations on
a model Number. I know that most brands have good and bad
models/types of sanders. Thanks again, Randy.

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have had a Ryobi for several years and love it. It seems to be what
you are looking for. It is compact, easy to handle, and belt tracking
is easily adjustable. I have used belt sanders that cost more than
twice what this one does and have been disppointed. Bosch makes one
that looks identical to the Ryobi.

Dick Durbin

No

I bought a refurbished royobi at a travling truck sale. Got it pretty cheap.
Its surprisingly pretty well built. I like the fact that it lays flat,
upside down. it 3x21, has dust bag, vari speed.

"Dica" wrote in message
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Lew Hodgett wrote:

If you truly need a belt sander, there is only one, the Porter Cable 5**
series. (Model depends on whether you want dust bag)

Every thing else will fail before the 5** is getting warmed up.

Cost these days is about $450 USD.

Far too big/heavy for what I would want....as noted, my B&D 3x24 lasted
30+ years and if I can find someone to make a new drive gear for not too
much, it should be good for another 20 or so...

I expect the Makita to last quite some time, it's just "clunky" in
comparison to the B&D design...and, as noted before, all the P-C models
are of a design I just would not find comfortable to use.

YMMV, IMO, $0.02, etc., ...

woodworker88

Definitly the Ryobi. I have the 3x18, less than 2 years old, but the
3x21is identical except for the size. I used it for 4 continous hours
stopping only to change belts to take an endgrain slice of a log from
chainsaw finish with 1/8" ridges to a surface ready for the 6 coats of
shellac I put on it. Never burned up, will stand up to any abuse.
Price is also a plus, less than $100 ( I got mine at Home Depot for
about $60US)

Lobby Dosser

"Randy and Ann" wrote:

I appreciate all the information thus far. Any recommendations on
a model Number. I know that most brands have good and bad
models/types of sanders. Thanks again, Randy.

The Ryobi is a BE321.

Max

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Randy and Ann" wrote:

I'm glad to see you posted this. I was just coming to the news group
to ask the same question. My Craftsman burnt up (won't get another one
of those) and I was just looking at the Porter Cable. I would
appreciate the knowledge and advice of the group for brand and model.
I'll use it for projects around the
house; nothing too large. Price under $200.00 preferably.
Thanks in advance. Randy

I've been using an Elu 3x21 belt sander for a little over ten years and it's
still going strong. The model is exactly like the DeWalt DW431.
I've replaced the dust bag twice with ones from DeWalt.

Max D.

FWIW, wish B&D would reissue that motor between the wheels design of 30
years ago. Of course then their tools where being made for the
professional, not the homeowner, and I can understand why it lasted so
long.

To Porter Cable's credit, they have continue to make, or reissue,
their best. Come to think of it maybe there is a 5* in my future. The
Bosch 2x24 I bought to replace an old Makita can't get the job done
without forever twiddling with the belt.

ray

Lew Hodgett

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Just what do you use it for?

I use it as an abrasive cutting and forming tool.

Equipped with 24 grit belts, it gets the job done.

I'm building a fiberglass boat so in addition to wood (ie: clean up
dirty wood before machining with other tools), it also gets used om
fiberglass and fairing compound which is very abrasive.

Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"I use it as an abrasive cutting and forming tool."

That's what Maloof used them for.

best wishes,

ray

Randy and Ann

Thanks to everyone for the info and a couple offline conversations. I've
decided to
go with the Porter Cable 360VS. I held one of these last weekend and it
appears to
be well balanced and it'll be a much better machine than my old Craftsman. I
really
do appriciate it. Randy

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:17:11 -0400, "Dica"
wrote:

i should first of all say that i am cross posting. i originally posted
this
on alt.woodworking, but this newsgroup seems to have way more users and
this
is where i though i was posting originally, so i post here again. my
apologies for the cross post.

I've been plenty happy with my DeWalt DW433.

Barry

Bosch 1278VS mini belt sander belt problems Ed Woodworking 5 November 19th 17 03:44 PM
Looking for a cheap price on drive belt (rubber) for belt sander jbclem Woodworking 9 May 20th 05 11:13 AM
Bench Belt Sander? Oregon Woodworking 3 February 13th 04 11:14 PM
REVIEW: PC 352VS 3x21 Belt Sander Jay Pique Woodworking 5 November 25th 03 03:43 AM
Belt sander clogging Ernie Jurick Woodworking 6 November 4th 03 08:45 PM