Robatoy

Default Tired of electrical discussions.

This is not intended to create a flame war.

I am deeply concerned about the blatant misinformation being written by
a small group of wRECkers. There is nothing more dangerous than bad
electrical advice.
Many here have genuine questions which should only be answered by
qualified people.
Many answers are the right ones.
A few are downright wrong and dangerous.

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

That's right... they don't.

That makes it a double-dangerous situation:

A) The person with the question doesn't have a clue otherwise the
question wouldn't be asked in here.
B) That person who then gets an answer doesn't have a clue on the
accuracy of such a reply running the risk of burning down the house with
the cat in it, or blowing off a finger, doing irreparable damage to an
expensive motor, or worse, causing death.

ALL of those things are bad.
RonB

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

Excellent Point

Duane Bozarth

RonB wrote:

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

Excellent Point

But Rob's been around long enough he should certainly be aware that
nothing he says, does, or posts will affect those he'd like to
reform...it is, after all, usenet.
RonB

Again, Excellent Point.

Keith Carlson

"Robatoy" wrote in message
This is not intended to create a flame war.

I am deeply concerned about the blatant misinformation being written by
a small group of wRECkers. There is nothing more dangerous than bad
electrical advice.

If you ask me (okay, you didn't), I'd prefer that newsgroups leave it up to
the individual's own judgement on whether they should rely on information
they get in the group. (And whether they should even attempt certain
repairs/tasks themselves rather than hire a professional). We all have to do
that in our "real" life, don't we? It could just as easily be your fishin'
buddy, work colleague, or next door neighbor who tells you that you can't be
electrocuted with 120VAC. In any case, we all need to use our own judgement
about what advice we take, and we're all responsible for our actions.

The alternative, it would seem to me, would be something like alt.hvac where
it's tough to get any advice from the group. Not very helpful to be told
"call your local contractor".

Robatoy

In article ,
Duane Bozarth wrote:

RonB wrote:

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

Excellent Point

But Rob's been around long enough he should certainly be aware that
nothing he says, does, or posts will affect those he'd like to
reform...it is, after all, usenet.

Whoa...reform?? Warn, maybe.
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

Robatoy wrote:

This is not intended to create a flame war.

I am deeply concerned about the blatant misinformation being written by
a small group of wRECkers. There is nothing more dangerous than bad
electrical advice.

.....snip.....
You mean along the line of the "Circular saw won't ground, safe?" thread
that I finally broke down and put 2 cents in to try and get a bit of
realism to the discussion.

I agree with you fully! My back ground does not take me into industrial
areas and I will keep quiet on topics I don't have detailed and thorough
knowledge.

The referenced thread with sticking fingers in light sockets and needing
at least 100mA to kill was really getting me concerned. Thanks for
raising this.

Ed
George

"Robatoy" wrote in message
This is not intended to create a flame war.

I am deeply concerned about the blatant misinformation being written by
a small group of wRECkers. There is nothing more dangerous than bad
electrical advice.
Many here have genuine questions which should only be answered by
qualified people.
Many answers are the right ones.
A few are downright wrong and dangerous.

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

Uh, looking it up? Search engines are great things.

Ignorance is an acute condition cured by knowledge. Stupidity is chronic,
because it seeks no knowledge, nor admits its value.

Mike in Arkansas

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

WillR

Robatoy wrote:
This is not intended to create a flame war.

I am deeply concerned about the blatant misinformation being written by
a small group of wRECkers. There is nothing more dangerous than bad
electrical advice.
Many here have genuine questions which should only be answered by
qualified people.
Many answers are the right ones.
A few are downright wrong and dangerous.

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

Sometimes even the initiated are puzzled by the answers. :-)

That's right... they don't.

That makes it a double-dangerous situation:

A) The person with the question doesn't have a clue otherwise the
question wouldn't be asked in here.
B) That person who then gets an answer doesn't have a clue on the
accuracy of such a reply running the risk of burning down the house with
the cat in it, or blowing off a finger, doing irreparable damage to an
expensive motor, or worse, causing death.

ALL of those things are bad.

Good luck with this one. Too many electrical and electronic types here...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Robatoy

In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.
Lee Michaels

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.

How can you impede people from reading this?

Particularly considering the magnetic attraction to such a highly charged
issue.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.

How can you impede people from reading this?

Particularly considering the magnetic attraction to such a highly charged
issue.

I was trying to induce a discussion. Never phased on me that it could
end up like this.
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:
[...]

So how is it any different from any other usenet group?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Lee Michaels wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.

How can you impede people from reading this?

Particularly considering the magnetic attraction to such a highly charged
issue.

Absolutely, many people want to keep up with current events.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

B a r r y

Robatoy wrote:
In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.

I'm currently trying to resist the whole thread, although it does have
potential.

And if you feel you can't resist, just try chanting
"Ooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm"...

jo4hn

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.

How can you impede people from reading this?

Particularly considering the magnetic attraction to such a highly charged
issue.

I was trying to induce a discussion. Never phased on me that it could
end up like this.

I pay you ohmage for your wit.
j4
Upscale

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450
I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Charles Krug

On Mon, 16 May 2005 10:08:51 -0400, Lee Michaels
wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.

How can you impede people from reading this?

Particularly considering the magnetic attraction to such a highly charged
issue.

I try to insulate myself from these disputes.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450
I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Quite a series of puns. Parallels no other thread here!

B a r r y

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450

I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Quite a series of puns. Parallels no other thread here!

So much wit, all fused together.
Lee Michaels

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450
I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Quite a series of puns. Parallels no other thread here!

But are the puns up to code??

If the punsters conducted themselves according to code, they would have
installed them in series instead of parallel.

Lee Michaels

"B a r r y" wrote in message
. ..
Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450

I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Quite a series of puns. Parallels no other thread here!

So much wit, all fused together.

Until the main breaker box gets tripped.

Then we will all be in the dark!

Robatoy

In article ,
B a r r y wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450

I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Quite a series of puns. Parallels no other thread here!

So much wit, all fused together.

If this condition doesn't rectify itself soon, I'm jumping off a bridge!
Vic Baron

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
This is not intended to create a flame war.

I am deeply concerned about the blatant misinformation being written by
a small group of wRECkers. There is nothing more dangerous than bad
electrical advice.
Many here have genuine questions which should only be answered by
qualified people.
Many answers are the right ones.
A few are downright wrong and dangerous.

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

Uh, looking it up? Search engines are great things.

Ignorance is an acute condition cured by knowledge. Stupidity is chronic,
because it seeks no knowledge, nor admits its value.

Uh, if they knew enough to use a search engine they wouldn't have needed to
use the Wreck in the first place. And if they were just too lazy to do that,
they won't do it AFTER getting any advice.

Just MHO,

Vic

Art Greenberg

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:33:46 -0400, Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
B a r r y wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450

I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Quite a series of puns. Parallels no other thread here!

So much wit, all fused together.

If this condition doesn't rectify itself soon, I'm jumping off a bridge!

You seem to have the capacity to induce a great deal of laughter.

(I know, not perfect ...)

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse DOT net
Lee Gordon

Despite a certain reluctance to charge into the current conversation, I
couldn't resist. Nevertheless, I simply can't give it a volt of confidence.

Lee

WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
B a r r y wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:6_2ie.2450

I pay you ohmage for your wit.

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Quite a series of puns. Parallels no other thread here!

So much wit, all fused together.

If this condition doesn't rectify itself soon, I'm jumping off a bridge!

I would give you a full wave as you go by but my capacity to enjoy this
crap is reaching a very high level of resistance -- no doubt a sine of
the increasing impedance to meaningful discussion -- this group needs a
new theory less we collapse in a meaningless series as opposed to
something natural -- perhaps we should stick to cutting logs? Surely
it's just another sine in an endless stream that this group is becoming
increasingly polarized -- which gives one the impulse see if we could
find a magnetic personality to give us a new direction instead of
wandering in circles with everything continuously collapsing and
expanding. Yagi, yagi, yagi -- that's all I hear, no focus -- perhaps we
could find someone who would reflect the groups values and start a
stronger wave of focused and related topics in a new continuum.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
B a r r y wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

[...]

I feel your pain. But try to control your hysteresis. Don't give
yourself anode bleed. Step up to the plate and lose your biases.
Watch those full waves as your arm could come out of its socket.
Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
B a r r y wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,

[...]

Brilliant!
Mike in Arkansas

SIR, Message from the BORG!
Put in on speaker Ensign.
"STOP! Resistance is futile"

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

SIR, Message from the BORG!
Put in on speaker Ensign.
"STOP! Resistance is futile"

Don't listen to them! They're just armateurs.
jo4hn

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
SIR, Message from the BORG!
Put in on speaker Ensign.