news.east.cox.net

Default Seeking Opinions: Oneida's Dust Gorilla

I have been considering the purchase of a high quality dust collection
system and I am focused on a cyclone system. Oneida has released a new
version known as the Dust Gorilla that I am curious about. It seems that
this unit relies on lower quality components then other Oneida systems, such
the lack of a Baldor motor, to keep the price point low. The CFM rating is
the same as the 2 HP commercial version. The Db rating is about the same
also, although I am not sure how loud 79 - 81 Db is relative to other
sounds.

I currently have a portable Jet unit and it's okay, but a bit on the anemic
side, so it does only the very basic in collection. I have about 500 SqFt
of shop to cover and would like to hook up my TS, BS, Jointer, Planer, add a
floor sweep and several 2 1/2" fittings, one over the workbench and one for
the router table. I have not taken the time to calculate the CFM needed,
but the 2 HP unit seems ideal - it may even be a bit more than I need since
I don't have simultaneous tool operations.

Has anyone purchased one of these products and feels comfortable with a
review?

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/s...rilla/main.htm

Scott McAuley

A 3dB change is a half power change.
Scott.

On 14-May-2005, "Scott McAuley" wrote:

A 3dB change is a half power change.
Scott.
"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message
The Db rating is about the same
also, although I am not sure how loud 79 - 81 Db is relative to other
sounds.

For acoustics it's not quite that simple. The ear maps increases in power
to loudness in a non-linear manner across frequency.
In general lower frequencies are perceived as louder than higher frequencies
for a given increase in acoustic power.

Just put psychoacoustics into google and you should be able to find a plot
of what's known as equal loudness contours.

ml

Call Oneida, and ask them if it will be suitable for your shop. I have
one of the 3 hp systems, and it is a wonderful piece of machinery.
Oneida is very helpful with duct layout. I have a 860 sq. ft shop, and
with the 3 hp, I can run two machines at once. I would expect the 2 hp
to be plenty for your shop. Do get one of the remote switches, and a
back up remote just in case yours gets lost in the shavings like mine
did. I also wondered if I would have to refilter the air before venting
it back into the shop. When I asked them about it I could tell that
they were insulted. They told me that their systems didn't leak ANY
dust. After 2 years, I agree with them.
robo hippy

DWalker

I have the 5hp version and it is very quiet. I did buy the muffler for it.
The dust collector sets in the corner of my shop and one can easilly carry
on a normal conversation while standing next to it. About the only tool that
has some dust escape is by belt/disk sander. I blaim that on tool design
though. I hava also found that a dust collector increases the noise from my
planer. It must have something to do with the air running past the rotating
knives. It sounds like a helicopter while the planer is running and the air
is on. Ear muffs are required while running this tool. Shut off the air
supply and the sound drops dramatically.

Onidea also offers a duct design service. I had to go over their plans
carefully and had several revisions done before it was right. It is easy to
spend more on duct work than the dust collector itself. I have to admit that
a clean shop is a lot more comfortable to work in.

I would highly recommend Onidea. Very good product and delivers as
advertised.

Dennis
[...]

news.east.cox.net

Thanks Dennis.

BTW, what made you select the 5HP model? Is this a private shop or a
commercial enterprise? I am in a basement that has a 7' ceilings. The
space that I am in is wonderful any ductwork must accomodate existing HVAC
ductwork, PCV sewer pipe and LP gas pipe. The optimal place for the cyclone
is suboptimal for the ducting and vice versa. Since I am in the basement
and live in New England, I can't really place the unit outside. I really
can't gripe because the space I have is great and my wonderful wife is
tolerant of the small amount of dust on her stuff (parenthetically, do women
have a gene that compels them to purchase more and more Christmas
decorations?)

Since I only operate a single machine at a time, the 2 HP has enough CFM and
SP to suit me.

I like a clean shop and I'd like to keep the dust down on items stored in
the unfinished side of the basement where the shop is located. I have a
friend that only does handwork using traditional techniques (he even has a
lathe that you operate by you foot, like the older sewing machines). He
refuses to clean up the shop so he has years old layers of dust and
shavings. Since his shop is a converted old carding mill and is open to the
air most times, I guess the fire hazard is small.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

"DWalker" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

DWalker

I have my shop in a large old barn. Part of my ceilings are 12' and my
longest run was over 40'. I was boarder line 3hp, so I went with a 5hp. My
wife also works along with me, so I wanted enough capacity for two outlets
open at a time. I don't regret the extra air.

I have a private shop for now, but would like to go semi-commercial some
day. I have a lot of DIY things going on right now.

Dennis

[...]

"DWalker" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

news.east.cox.net

Thanks again Dennis. Best of luck going commercial.

I'd like to do the same thing at some point, but for the next mamny years, I
simply need to get experience.

"DWalker" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"DWalker" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

New "Inexpensive" Oneida Dust Gorilla = 2HP Commerical system Lars S. Woodworking 2 April 8th 05 04:46 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Dust Collectors: A killer health hazard! Clarke Echols Woodworking 14 March 24th 04 03:26 AM
Recommend Ducting For JET 1.5 HP Canister Dust Collector Jay Chan Woodworking 2 March 12th 04 08:22 PM
Small shop dust control. Ellestad Woodworking 11 February 1st 04 03:08 AM