Mike W.

Default SWMBO honesty

SWMBO got tired of my nagging a few months ago and let me spend some of the
Uncle Sam return on tools. I only got one 'new' power tool as the others
were major upgrade replacements or ancillary type stuff. Anyways, she was
happy with my first project, and anxious for more. As we watched TV or
looked at furniture catalogs she wanted me to build this or that and I said,
"Well, I'd need a power planer for that". She asks how much and then we
move on to some other piece.

Me: "The wood for that would be very expensive from the borg or really
anywhere since I have to have it cut and planed to a certain thickness".

SWMBO: "Why"

Me: "Well, hon... Most WWers buy stuff in block-like chunks... you know,
really thick stuff. Then they make the boards they need. Everyone else
pays some other schmo with the equipment to make it so"

SWMBO: "Couldnt you do it if you had a planer? I mean, make it whatever
thickness you want?"-SWMBO

Me: "Well, yeah, but if the block of wood was thick enough, I could make
more than 1 board out of its thickness... just not with a planer. For that
I'd need a bandsaw so I could 'slice' the boards"

SWMBO: "So you need a bandsaw and not a planer?"

Me: "Well... you cant be that exact with a bandsaw. It gets you in the
neighborhood, then you get it perfect with the planer"

SWMBO: "I see. So you really need both in addition to the jointer and table
saw you just bought?"

Me: "I mean, to do the really nice stuff in a cost effective way... yeah"

SWMBO: "How much would those cost?"

Me: "Well, for anything worth it I'd probably be looking at $1100 or so for
both" (knowing once the approval was given there would be at least a 20%
markup)

SWMBO: "Wow... that is an expensive hobby." returns to her cheap
scrapbooking hobby

I felt for a while like I was on the edge of a breakthrough, but then it
kind of fell off. I figured I should let it be for a while... but the SEED
HAS BEEN PLANTED and she didnt freak out.

SWMBO are strange creatures and after 10 yrs of marriage I'm still trying to
figure this one out.

Mike W.

WillR

Mike W. wrote:
[...]

About 30 years ago I asked my daddy -- being a newlywed and all -- "Dad
is it always like this...?" and he said "It's pretty good when you get
used to it -- I asked my daddy that -- and that's what he said..." and I
asked "And how long does that take?" -- a 1000 yard stare later he said
"I'll let you know".

Good luck.

Oh yes -- chocolates, roses and a day watching Soap Operas -- all to
herself. Works every time.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Prometheus

On Wed, 04 May 2005 02:45:42 GMT, "Mike W."
wrote:

I felt for a while like I was on the edge of a breakthrough, but then it
kind of fell off. I figured I should let it be for a while... but the SEED
HAS BEEN PLANTED and she didnt freak out.

SWMBO are strange creatures and after 10 yrs of marriage I'm still trying to
figure this one out.

Sounds a little like the method I used- but I'm lucky to have a SWMBO
who was into pyrography. So, I talked her into trying out a scroll
saw, and she loves it. The trouble was that those boards I gave her
were just "too thick." Didn't take long to get the new planer after
that. After I planed a couple of bf down for her, I showed her all
the chips, and how wasteful it was to just chop up all that nice wood.
I mournfully told her that my bandsaw just wasn't big enough for
resawing, so now I've got a bigger one planned into our budget later
this summer. *s*******

Of course, it helps that she really is an understanding sort!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Badger

Mike W. wrote:
SWMBO are strange creatures and after 10 yrs of marriage I'm still trying to
figure this one out.

And just when you do, something will change "THE change" and its back to
square one, again....
Mr Fixit eh

Better keep her happy, Prometheus, with a hobby like that, she could be
burning down the house. :-)

Steve

Gus

Mike wrote:

SWMBO are strange creatures and after 10 yrs of marriage I'm still

trying to
figure this one out.

Nothing much to figure out.

Odds are, she'll eventually dvorce you and take 1/2 of whatever you've
got.

Then, she'll sell your shiny toys at a yard sale for pennies on the
dollar.

Not just my opinion.

Statistical probability.

Gus

Steve Decker

John Moorhead wrote:
Gus -

My, my.... Don't get invited to too many parties now, do you?

You might not like it John, but those are the sad facts.

I've seen it happen to friends.
jo4hn

Gus wrote:
Mike wrote:

SWMBO are strange creatures and after 10 yrs of marriage I'm still

trying to

figure this one out.

Nothing much to figure out.

Odds are, she'll eventually dvorce you and take 1/2 of whatever you've
got.

Then, she'll sell your shiny toys at a yard sale for pennies on the
dollar.

Not just my opinion.

Statistical probability.

Gus

My, my. Aren't we the gloomy gus today.
jo4hn
LRod

On Wed, 04 May 2005 15:47:33 -0400, Steve Decker
wrote:

John Moorhead wrote:
Gus -

My, my.... Don't get invited to too many parties now, do you?

You might not like it John, but those are the sad facts.

I've seen it happen to friends.

It's a family joke with me. My daughter and I are very close and
sometimes when I have a tool gloat that SWMBO just won't appreciate, I
call her (or my son) to tell them about it. Neither of them is very
impressed with me buying new tools.

Anyway, I said to my daughter once, "I don't know what you're
complaining about, you're going to wind up with half of them
eventually anyway."

"Yeah," she said, "biggest ebay sale ever."

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Peter D

"Mike W." wrote in message
[...]

As someone once said "Women are strange chaps!"

Lenny

wrote:

John Moorhead wrote:
Gus -

My, my.... Don't get invited to too many parties now, do you?

You might not like it John, but those are the sad facts.

I've seen it happen to friends.

It's a family joke with me. My daughter and I are very close and
sometimes when I have a tool gloat that SWMBO just won't appreciate, I
call her (or my son) to tell them about it. Neither of them is very
impressed with me buying new tools.

Anyway, I said to my daughter once, "I don't know what you're
complaining about, you're going to wind up with half of them
eventually anyway."

"Yeah," she said, "biggest ebay sale ever."

So LRod, How's your health these days ? grin
Lenny
p.s. could your daughter post a list of what you have
Lenny

On Wed, 04 May 2005 02:45:42 GMT, "Mike W."
wrote:

message snipped

I felt for a while like I was on the edge of a breakthrough, but then it
kind of fell off. I figured I should let it be for a while... but the SEED
HAS BEEN PLANTED and she didnt freak out.

SWMBO are strange creatures and after 10 yrs of marriage I'm still trying to
figure this one out.

Mike W.

Been 27 years here. I can tell you what my friend Warren told me years
ago (he's an avid hunter).... "Anything that can bleed for 5 days and
not die is not of this world"

Lenny
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Then, she'll sell your shiny toys at a yard sale for pennies on the
dollar.

So? Go round and buy them up yourself at the firesale prices.

LRod

On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:18:42 -0400, Lenny
wrote:

So LRod, How's your health these days ? grin

Living large and walking tall.

p.s. could your daughter post a list of what you have

Actually, you can see them on my website. Most of them. I might have
left out a couple of insignificant things. I don't know how they're
going to break them out. I mean I only have one Unisaw, one planer,
one jointer...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Phisherman

Wash the dishes, shampoo the carpet, clean the toilets, make dinner
and giver her a total-body massage. If that doesn't shut her up, get
her a big diamond ring. Then get a Delta 14" bandsaw, 15" planer, and
a PM66 tablesaw with no complaints.
Lenny

On Thu, 05 May 2005 00:55:37 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Wash the dishes, shampoo the carpet, clean the toilets, make dinner
and giver her a total-body massage. If that doesn't shut her up, get
her a big diamond ring. Then get a Delta 14" bandsaw, 15" planer, and
a PM66 tablesaw with no complaints.

S%#! I do all that stuff just so I CAN give her the total body
massage. Still don't have the PM66 though (Except for the one at work
that is)

Lenny

Robatoy

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Wash the dishes, shampoo the carpet, clean the toilets, make dinner
and giver her a total-body massage. If that doesn't shut her up, get
her a big diamond ring. Then get a Delta 14" bandsaw, 15" planer, and
a PM66 tablesaw with no complaints.

My wife likes the way you think...*G*
Ed

"Mike W." wrote in message
[...]

I don't mean this to be a gloat, but I just go buy whatever I want. My
secret is to find her most expensive hobby (mine's into "Partylite") and nag
her about it now and then. It's very seldom that my SWMBO says a word about
my woodworking, except to harrass me about some unfinished project.

Ed

Lee DeRaud

On Thu, 05 May 2005 00:16:30 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Wash the dishes, shampoo the carpet, clean the toilets, make dinner
and giver her a total-body massage. If that doesn't shut her up, get
her a big diamond ring. Then get a Delta 14" bandsaw, 15" planer, and
a PM66 tablesaw with no complaints.

My wife likes the way you think...*G*

But does she like the way he gives massages?

Lee

On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:41:34 GMT, "Ed" wrote:

..... her most expensive hobby (mine's into "Partylite")....
Ed

I had to google that one. the second hit:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/misc/partylite.html

hope you have your finances separate from hers, Ed.