Jim Bailey

Default Drill Chuck Cleanup

I acquired a used Delta 16" Drill press a while back and have just begun
using it finally. The Chuck has a very slight bit of external rust and
doesn't spin easily - feel sort of 'gummy' to turn and I pretty much have to
use the key.

How does one go about disassembling and cleaning a chuck ?

jim

tom

Jim Bailey May 3, 8:56 pm

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: "Jim Bailey" =ADm - Find
messages by this author
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 00:56:41 GMT
Subject: Drill Chuck Cleanup

I acquired a used Delta 16" Drill press a while back and have just
begun
using it finally. The Chuck has a very slight bit of external rust and

doesn't spin easily - feel sort of 'gummy' to turn and I pretty much
have to
use the key.

How does one go about disassembling and cleaning a chuck ?

I wouldn't disassemble it. I'd give it a good solvent spray or two or
three('til it drips cleanly), then a light oiling. Tom

Lew Hodgett

Jim Bailey writes:

I acquired a used Delta 16" Drill press a while back and have just
begun
using it finally. The Chuck has a very slight bit of external rust and

doesn't spin easily - feel sort of 'gummy' to turn and I pretty much
have to
use the key.

How does one go about disassembling and cleaning a chuck ?

First things first, don't even think about trying to disassemble the
chuck, it becomes a total PITA.

Get a can of Kroil from Kano Labs in Nashville, TN and soak the chuck a
few days in it.

Remove and allow to drip dry, then oil with a light weight machine oil.

Something like 3 in 1 oil if they still make it?

Lew

Phisherman

Put a few drops of Liquid Wrench (light-viscosity penetrating fluid)
on the movable parts, lightly tap the chuck with a screwdriver several
times, and allow the penetrating fluid to work its way inside the
chuck. You may want to allow the fluid to soak in overnight. Wipe
off the rust on the chuck with a rag lightly dampened with kerosene
(the kerosene will also help prevent more rusting.) No need to remove
the chuck from the spindle, nor to disassemble the chuck.

What's really important for a drill press is checking for runout.

Once you discover how useful a drill press can be, you'll wonder how
you got by without one. Having a special and convenient place for
the key will save you frustration and perhaps improve safety.