Phisherman

Put a few drops of Liquid Wrench (light-viscosity penetrating fluid)
on the movable parts, lightly tap the chuck with a screwdriver several
times, and allow the penetrating fluid to work its way inside the
chuck. You may want to allow the fluid to soak in overnight. Wipe
off the rust on the chuck with a rag lightly dampened with kerosene
(the kerosene will also help prevent more rusting.) No need to remove
the chuck from the spindle, nor to disassemble the chuck.

What's really important for a drill press is checking for runout.

Once you discover how useful a drill press can be, you'll wonder how
you got by without one. Having a special and convenient place for
the key will save you frustration and perhaps improve safety.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:56:41 GMT, "Jim Bailey"
wrote:

I acquired a used Delta 16" Drill press a while back and have just begun
using it finally. The Chuck has a very slight bit of external rust and
doesn't spin easily - feel sort of 'gummy' to turn and I pretty much have to
use the key.

How does one go about disassembling and cleaning a chuck ?

jim