Nate Perkins

Default Latest project - Dobsonian telescope

Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Bob Schmall

Nate:
I like it. Very nice joinery and a thoughtful, simple design. I've done a
few dobs up to 17.5" in "classic" style (read: "heavy") and appraciate your
efforts to keep it light. A few questions:
Does it balance well without weights?
How does it break down for transport?
Who did the mirror?
Do you use a shroud?
BTW: what is your 6" MN" I have an Intes 61 modified with a Crayford focuser
and Parallax rings. It's superb--refractor quality if a bit heavy. Cool down
may be an issue but it's worth it--I saw the horsehead nebula from West
Texas last month..

Bob

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Teamcasa

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Oh Nate,
Now I am jealous! I have wanted to build a telescope but other projects
keep jumping in front. Add do the fact I have no idea how to build one, but
that's never stopped me before.

Yours looks terrific! I hope it sees as well as it looks! Did you grind
your own mirror?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Nate Perkins

Bob Schmall wrote:
Nate:
I like it. Very nice joinery and a thoughtful, simple design. I've

done a
few dobs up to 17.5" in "classic" style (read: "heavy") and

appraciate your
efforts to keep it light. A few questions:
Does it balance well without weights?
How does it break down for transport?
Who did the mirror?
Do you use a shroud?
BTW: what is your 6" MN" I have an Intes 61 modified with a Crayford

focuser
and Parallax rings. It's superb--refractor quality if a bit heavy.

Cool down
may be an issue but it's worth it--I saw the horsehead nebula from

West
Texas last month..

Hi Bob,

It's just a hair backheavy at the moment. Balances well with my
heaviest eyepiece. I'm working on a sliding counterweight for it
(copied from Highe and Plettstone again). At the moment I just stuff a
couple of big knurled nuts inside the open end of the front trusses
:-)

To break it down for transport, you unclamp the secondary platform,
slide it off, and pull out the tubes. The mirror box and platform
travel side by side in the back seat of my Saturn SL. I need to build
some small poles to hold the secondary cage in place over the mirror
box for transport.

The mirror came from Hardin Optical. It's a Guan Sheng (gulp). I
worried a lot about the mirror, but it was a bargain at $400 and I
figured I'd give it a try. Turns out that the star tests are right on
(at least to the level of my expertise), and it's pushed 300x no
problem and 400x intermittently.

I don't use any shroud. Hasn't made much effect so far. I'm working
on a focuser end baffle.

I also have the Intes MN61 (the Orion black tube model). It's a good
scope but as you say a bit on the heavy side with the mount and all.
The views in the dob are beating the views in the MN61 (I guess this is
proof that more aperture can trump finer optical quality).

Regards,
Nate

p.s. Sorry to the other readers that this has already strayed from the
topic of woodworking.

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off

the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Jerry S.

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Looks great, Nate. I've got an 8" pyrex blank waiting for some free time to
try grinding my first mirror. I had my 3.5" refractor out last night
showing Saturn, Jupiter & the moon to visiting cousins. A pox on the guy
who pushed for street lights in our subdivision, then moved out a year
later. Grrrrr.

Nate Perkins

Teamcasa wrote:
"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off

the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Oh Nate,
Now I am jealous! I have wanted to build a telescope but other

projects
keep jumping in front. Add do the fact I have no idea how to build

one, but
that's never stopped me before.

Yours looks terrific! I hope it sees as well as it looks! Did you

grind
your own mirror?

Hi Dave,

Naw, I bought the mirror. I'm not good enough to grind one. See the
reply to Bob, above.

Regards,
Nate

Bob Schmall

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Oh Nate,
Now I am jealous! I have wanted to build a telescope but other projects
keep jumping in front. Add do the fact I have no idea how to build one,
but that's never stopped me before.

Yours looks terrific! I hope it sees as well as it looks! Did you grind
your own mirror?

Dave

Dave:
There ae several vendors of high-quality mirrors listed in the back of Sky &
Telescope and Astronomy magazines. You might also DAGS.
As for scope design, Richard Berry & David Kriege's book on Dobsonian
telescopes, and Berry's on several designs, can provide just about all the
information you need. Again, see Sky & Tel's website for the books, or try
Amazon.

Bob Schmall

Teamcasa

Dave:
There ae several vendors of high-quality mirrors listed in the back of Sky
& Telescope and Astronomy magazines. You might also DAGS.
As for scope design, Richard Berry & David Kriege's book on Dobsonian
telescopes, and Berry's on several designs, can provide just about all the
information you need. Again, see Sky & Tel's website for the books, or try
Amazon.

Bob Schmall

Thanks Bob, I have a few books on telescope building just sitting around
waiting my attention. The mirror making was the stopping point but now I
believe quality mirrors are readily available.

Do you have a few pictures of the scopes you have built? I feel a new
inspiration starting to grow! Thanks to you and Nate.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
WillR

Nate Perkins wrote:
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Nice woodworking.

You have answered some of my questions as I often mused on the idea of
turning some of my woodworking skills to something useful. :-)

Enjoyed your site.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Bob Schmall

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
Dave:
There ae several vendors of high-quality mirrors listed in the back of
Sky & Telescope and Astronomy magazines. You might also DAGS.
As for scope design, Richard Berry & David Kriege's book on Dobsonian
telescopes, and Berry's on several designs, can provide just about all
the information you need. Again, see Sky & Tel's website for the books,
or try Amazon.

Bob Schmall

Thanks Bob, I have a few books on telescope building just sitting around
waiting my attention. The mirror making was the stopping point but now I
believe quality mirrors are readily available.

Do you have a few pictures of the scopes you have built? I feel a new
inspiration starting to grow! Thanks to you and Nate.

Dave

Dave:
Oh hell. I hate to step on your inspiration, but they're long gone. I got to
the age when the strength and gymnastic levels required to use those things
weren't there any more. Now I've gone over to the Dark Side--goto, a
Mak-Newt and an SCT. Sob.
To renew the inspiration, try sci.astro.amateur. Lurk for a while, then
leap. Astromart has several forums that would be of interest to you, but
it's tightly run so be sure that you register properly.

Bob

Nate Perkins

WillR wrote in
:

Nate Perkins wrote:
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off
the beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/

~nateperkins1/misc/astro/12dob/12dob_pics.ht

Nice woodworking.

You have answered some of my questions as I often mused on the idea of
turning some of my woodworking skills to something useful. :-)

Enjoyed your site.

Thanks, Will.

BTW, woodworking of all kinds is useful if you have a wife who wants
something made for the house. SWMBO would say that my scope is far less
useful than, say, a new buffet. :-)

Cheers,
Nate
WillR

Nate Perkins wrote:
WillR wrote in
:

Nate Perkins wrote:

Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off
the beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/

~nateperkins1/misc/astro/12dob/12dob_pics.ht

Nice woodworking.

You have answered some of my questions as I often mused on the idea of
turning some of my woodworking skills to something useful. :-)

Enjoyed your site.

Thanks, Will.

BTW, woodworking of all kinds is useful if you have a wife who wants
something made for the house. SWMBO would say that my scope is far less
useful than, say, a new buffet. :-)

Cheers,
Nate

Oh don't be silly -- of course I know that. :-) and g

It's why men become such consummate liars -- "Oh honey -- buy me that
tool and I will make you a buffet (Right after I build my telescope (or
whatever)." Right!

You must be young. Even someone as gullible as a wife who loves you
catches on eventually -- given 20, 30 or 40 years say. g

So be careful out there.

We have reached the stage where her pupils contract when I mention "off
topic projects" -- that's a bad sign. :-)

(A scope is so _much_ more useful. Sigh)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Mike W.

This is the thing that got me interested in Wood Working in the first place!
Oddly enough I still haven't built one... I just keep on using my trusty old
8" Celestron StarHopper.

That is a beautiful Scope!

mike

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Here's a few pictures of the latest project. Probably a little off the
beaten path:

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...2dob/12dob.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...12dob_pics.htm

Latest Project, and my thoughts on furniture design Joe Wilding Woodworking 6 March 20th 05 12:22 AM
Latest Project Pics Dave Woodworking 4 June 20th 04 07:55 PM
Latest project: Civil War Cannon carriage Joe Wilding Woodworking 4 February 29th 04 04:29 PM