Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
NorthIdahoWWer

Default Elmers Polyurethane Glue Question

This is the first time I've used poly glue of any kind. I'm gluing 2 fir
beams together then laminating them with 3/4" oak to create a vertical post
for a stairway/landing. I glued the fir beams together yesterday with one
bead of glue, dampening both parts as per instructions. After a few hours,
I noticed the lack of the foam that's supposed to appear. I removed the
clamps only to have the 2 beams come apart with the glue dried in between.
I re-dampened the beams, used the equivalent of about 3 beads, in a squiggly
pattern down the length of the wood then clamped and allowed to dry
overnight. Still no foam this morning but the wood did seem to hold and a
chisel driven at different points didn't seem to make the wood separate.
Being still paranoid, I will use good ol' Elmers wood glue to laminate on
the oak.

So my question is, did I do something wrong? Why is there no foam? I've
searched the group on google and didn't find this exact problem.

Thanks,

Will

Vinyl tile over old glue? Andrew Sarangan Home Repair 1 February 5th 04 06:22 PM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 05:39 AM
Segmented Bowl Glue Line Creep Ken Vickery Woodturning 2 September 20th 03 01:38 PM
What glue is best to use for segmented turning? RonZ Woodturning 14 September 20th 03 05:15 AM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 01:48 AM