Unquestionably Confused

on 4/13/2005 1:03 PM NorthIdahoWWer said the following:
This is the first time I've used poly glue of any kind. I'm gluing 2 fir
beams together then laminating them with 3/4" oak to create a vertical post
for a stairway/landing. I glued the fir beams together yesterday with one
bead of glue, dampening both parts as per instructions. After a few hours,
I noticed the lack of the foam that's supposed to appear. I removed the
clamps only to have the 2 beams come apart with the glue dried in between.
I re-dampened the beams, used the equivalent of about 3 beads, in a squiggly
pattern down the length of the wood then clamped and allowed to dry
overnight. Still no foam this morning but the wood did seem to hold and a
chisel driven at different points didn't seem to make the wood separate.
Being still paranoid, I will use good ol' Elmers wood glue to laminate on
the oak.

In the first instance I'm wondering if the wood was cupped, etc. and not
in contact. Sounds really strange that you would have NO glue joint as
opposed to a weak one in the situation you describe.

Had the glue been opened prior to this? I haven't had that much
experience with the polyurethane glues other than once or twice with
Gorilla Glue and it performed as advertised but then it was a new bottle.

I'm told that this stuff has a shelf life of ~ 6 months max once opened
unless you do something to evacuate the air in the bottle. Whether it's
wet or not it should expand, no?

Finally, I don't know that I'd even bother with poly for the project you
describe. Using this as a vertical post is not going to subject the
joint to much stress. I think I'd probably just get a good smooth
surface with the fir beams, glue and nail them up and then glue the oak
facade to the resultant post and be done with it. Titebond/Titebond II
should be more than adequate for your needs.

If one end of the post is going to be sitting on a concrete floor
(basement, maybe?) I'd seal it well and maybe even melt some wax on it
to prevent its wicking up moisture from the concrete or a minor flooding.