Unquestionably Confused

on 4/13/2005 1:44 PM NorthIdahoWWer said the following:
In the first instance I'm wondering if the wood was cupped, etc. and not
in contact.

Full contact. The boards were run through the planer.

Had the glue been opened prior to this?

No, brand new bottle

Strange.

If one end of the post is going to be sitting on a concrete floor

It will be on the main floor, sitting on T&G Fir planking

Sorry, I have no answer for your original question then. My thoughts on
the necessity of poly hold true in light of the balance of the message.
Done properly, a glueup with Titebond, any Titebond, will be stronger
than the wood itself. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself.