Mike P

Default 15" Planer Options

I'm zeroing in on a choice for a 15" planer and have narrowed it down
to the Jet 708529 or the new Grizzly G1021Z. They are both roughly in
my price range. I've found a little information in the archives on
both models but not much (especially the Grizzly machine). Does anyone
have any experience with this particular model?

I've seen the recent Popular Woodworking review, but its on an older
model. I have a couple other Grizzly tools in the shop (8" jointer,
dust collector and 14" bandsaw) and have been pretty happy with them
all, but I'm always a little leary about making a leap (especially a
$1200-1300 one) without more real world feedback.

George

"Mike P" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm zeroing in on a choice for a 15" planer and have narrowed it down
to the Jet 708529 or the new Grizzly G1021Z. They are both roughly in
my price range. I've found a little information in the archives on
both models but not much (especially the Grizzly machine). Does anyone
have any experience with this particular model?

I've seen the recent Popular Woodworking review, but its on an older
model. I have a couple other Grizzly tools in the shop (8" jointer,
dust collector and 14" bandsaw) and have been pretty happy with them
all, but I'm always a little leary about making a leap (especially a
$1200-1300 one) without more real world feedback.

Well, not the "new," but the old had a couple of cheapnesses that were
upsetting. The bed rollers were best described as tin on pins, but they
were quick enough to replace when one collapsed. The cutterhead locks were
also of the cheapest sort, but if you don't have HS kids who can't figure
out Leftie Lucy or counterclockwise (damn digital watches), you probably
won't break the cheap plastic knobs or lose the wedges.

Planed wood well, though. Only one of the Grizz tools that turned out to be
worth the money.

JC

I got the G0551 planer. My dad has the discontinued version, can't
remember the model number. They are both great planers. You will see
what appears to be the exact same planer as the G1021Z offered by
several other vendors, all charging quite a bit more for theirs.

I recently finished the 2-year construction of my humble 20x20 woodshop
and outfitted it all at once with Grizzly tools. Planer, jointer, table
saw, bandsaw, drill press, and combo sander. The planer and jointer
blades were near perfectly set from the factory. I doubt that I will be
able to set them as close myself when the time comes. And I checked
them with a dial indicator. All arrived without damage or any serious
flaws or problems. The drill press had a wobbly chuck and a replacement
was at my door in a day-and-a-half.

I am extremely pleased with my Grizzly machines and with the money
saved I can buy lots of other goodies now that the money pit is
officially open

I would recommend Grizzly in a heartbeat.

I wanted the G1021Z, by the way, but I was not willing to spend the
bucks.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Phisherman

Sorry I don't have a recommendation for a 15", but 12 to 13-inch
planers seem to be more common. I have a Makita 12-1/2" which is
lightweight and has done the job well for many years. If I had to
replace it, I'd consider the DeWalt 735 because it has three blades
that can be resharpened and engineered to almost eliminate snipe.. I
would not use a planer without a DC.

On 4 Apr 2005 13:22:52 -0700, "Mike P"
wrote:

I'm zeroing in on a choice for a 15" planer and have narrowed it down
to the Jet 708529 or the new Grizzly G1021Z. They are both roughly in
my price range. I've found a little information in the archives on
both models but not much (especially the Grizzly machine). Does anyone
have any experience with this particular model?

I've seen the recent Popular Woodworking review, but its on an older
model. I have a couple other Grizzly tools in the shop (8" jointer,
dust collector and 14" bandsaw) and have been pretty happy with them
all, but I'm always a little leary about making a leap (especially a
$1200-1300 one) without more real world feedback.

Hax Planks

Phisherman says...

Sorry I don't have a recommendation for a 15", but 12 to 13-inch
planers seem to be more common. I have a Makita 12-1/2" which is
lightweight and has done the job well for many years. If I had to
replace it, I'd consider the DeWalt 735 because it has three blades
that can be resharpened and engineered to almost eliminate snipe.. I
would not use a planer without a DC.

I didn't think the DW735 blades could be sharpened. Was I wrong?

JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
Delta planer wont feed Mark Woodworking 6 December 30th 04 06:52 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
DeWalt 735 planer review. BRFordJr Woodworking 11 December 16th 03 03:44 PM