George

"Mike P" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm zeroing in on a choice for a 15" planer and have narrowed it down
to the Jet 708529 or the new Grizzly G1021Z. They are both roughly in
my price range. I've found a little information in the archives on
both models but not much (especially the Grizzly machine). Does anyone
have any experience with this particular model?

I've seen the recent Popular Woodworking review, but its on an older
model. I have a couple other Grizzly tools in the shop (8" jointer,
dust collector and 14" bandsaw) and have been pretty happy with them
all, but I'm always a little leary about making a leap (especially a
$1200-1300 one) without more real world feedback.

Well, not the "new," but the old had a couple of cheapnesses that were
upsetting. The bed rollers were best described as tin on pins, but they
were quick enough to replace when one collapsed. The cutterhead locks were
also of the cheapest sort, but if you don't have HS kids who can't figure
out Leftie Lucy or counterclockwise (damn digital watches), you probably
won't break the cheap plastic knobs or lose the wedges.

Planed wood well, though. Only one of the Grizz tools that turned out to be
worth the money.