Mitch

Default How to remove #&!@#$! veneer tape

My first veneer project.

I veneered a panel with bookmatched veneer. I joined the seam between
the two bookmatched "leaves" together with gummed veneer tape. Put it
in a press for a few hours. unitl the glue cured.

Once out of the press, how do I get the veneer tape off?

I've tried a scraper, but it still took a lot of pressure and repeated
scrapings. And its still not all off. I have a lot of doors to do this
way, so I'm looking for some labor saving secret.

I tried moistening the tape. This helped but the glue seemed to be left
on the surface.

If there's no easy way to get it off, could I avoid this problem and
use masking tape?

Mitch.

Steve Knight

30% Off planes of all sorts.
all bench planes and panel raisers have adjustable sliding mouths. no more
mouthblocks (unless you want one)
prices will be rasing soon so get the planes while they are hot.
The Plow plane is finished. It is a simple setup with 6 standard blades. ¼”
3/16” 5/16” ½” 5/8” and 3/4” and ¼” thick. The steel sole is 7/64” thick O-1
steel it is screwed and glued into the body. The plane is about 10” long and
about 4” high the fence can be used on both sides of the plane. The regular
price right now is 250.00 the irons rest against one side of the plane to make
setup easy and measurements of where the dado starts a simple ipe block works
for the depthstop.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...plowplane1.jpg
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...plowplane2.jpg

New marking knives and hammers are now available.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_.../newknives.jpg
made by CHESTER TOOLWORKS LLC and they are made from precision ground 3/32"
thick O1 tool steel and are 5/16" wide. Snakewood, East Indian Rosewood,
Brazilian Tulipwood, or Gabon Ebony. 44.00 for the snakewood and shipping 39.00
and shipping for the other woods.
New plane adjusting hammer
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_.../newhammer.jpg CTW hammers are
designed specifically for adjusting the blades and wedges of wooden hand planes
and infill hand planes. The polished brass and Lignum Vitae head is weighted
toward the brass striking end and is designed so that it won't mar or mushroom
the blade like steel hammers. The Lignum end is of a smaller diameter and is
used to tap the toe or heel of the plane without leaving dent marks. It should
also be the end used for tapping wedges tight since it won't damage the heel of
the wedge. Handles are individually shaped from Quartersawn White Ash with the
grain oriented to prevent the runout which weakens many other hammer handles.
45.00 plus shipping. New plane idea's

Knight Toolworks in conjunction with Harrolson at www.japanesetools.com have had
these custom made Japanese irons made for western planes. These are the first
and only hand forged/laminated Japanese irons that will fit a regular wedged
plane. They are 2" wide and 5.25" long and are a bit over ¼" thick. They will
drop into any knight Toolworks plane that uses a 2" iron with just a little
mouth and wedge adjustment. They are made from blue steel (holds and edge longer
then pretty much any tool steel on the market) and wrought iron. I believe these
to be the best irons out there over O-1 and A-2 irons. They will hold an edge
longer then A-2 they will get sharper they will leave a deeper/cleaner surface
and they make the plane easier to use. They will really help with tearout too.
They are hand stamped with Shizu Tani (tranquil valley) Shipping is 5.00
including insurance.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...ironcoffin.jpg
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/grap...gradeirons.jpg

Please check my page for all my planes www.knight-toolworks.com

I also have razee jointers and jack planes and scrubs.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/wooden.htm
I have great looking/feeling coffin smoothers
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/graphics/coffin.jpg
All planes now have setscrews to center the irons in the body and make adjusting
the iron easy.

All planes are sanded/planed and finished with a special oil and wax finish.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Larry Jaques

On 3 Apr 2005 19:49:37 -0700, the inscrutable "Mitch"
spake:

My first veneer project.

I veneered a panel with bookmatched veneer. I joined the seam between
the two bookmatched "leaves" together with gummed veneer tape. Put it
in a press for a few hours. unitl the glue cured.

Once out of the press, how do I get the veneer tape off?

I've tried a scraper, but it still took a lot of pressure and repeated
scrapings. And its still not all off. I have a lot of doors to do this
way, so I'm looking for some labor saving secret.

I tried moistening the tape. This helped but the glue seemed to be left
on the surface.

If there's no easy way to get it off, could I avoid this problem and
use masking tape?

The veneer god I saw in Sandy Eggo used the moisture-set veneer tape.
His stuff went for $15k+. He had just ordered a $150k machine to use
it, too.

The blue painter's masking tape is successfully used by David Marks.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development
Gary A in KC

I use a vacuum press for my veneering. When I first pull panels out of the
vacuum bag there is still a good amount of moisture on the panels and the
tape is still fairly wet. I try and scrape as much of the tape off as I can
at that point. Still, there's always a fair amount left. My easiest method
has always been to let the panels dry overnight so the remaining tape is dry
(almost brittle) and then it comes off with a little easy sanding with 150
or 220 grit on my ROS. I always go over my veneer panels this way anyway -
just a little careful work around the taped edges and it works fine and
quickly.

I NEVER use blue tape or masking tape on joints in my vacuum press. Too much
adhesive power. I use it to hold the corners of the veneer down to keep it
from curling up until I have my platen ready for the bag. My experience is
the blue tape can be very tough to get off the veneer and will often take
chunks of veneer with it. If I keep it in the corners (usually a waste area)
I'm pretty safe.

My 2 cents. Gary in KC

"Mitch" wrote in message
oups.com...
My first veneer project.

I veneered a panel with bookmatched veneer. I joined the seam between
the two bookmatched "leaves" together with gummed veneer tape. Put it
in a press for a few hours. unitl the glue cured.

Once out of the press, how do I get the veneer tape off?

I've tried a scraper, but it still took a lot of pressure and repeated
scrapings. And its still not all off. I have a lot of doors to do this
way, so I'm looking for some labor saving secret.

I tried moistening the tape. This helped but the glue seemed to be left
on the surface.

If there's no easy way to get it off, could I avoid this problem and
use masking tape?

Mitch.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:42:52 GMT, "Gary A in KC"
wrote:

I NEVER use blue tape or masking tape on joints in my vacuum press.

What's "blue tape" ?

Here in the UK it's pressure sensitive tape used for masking when
painting. It's a "low release force", but it's still not something I'd
use for veneer work.

The tape I use for veneer is gummed paper tape, white, with holes in,
and wetted before use. It comes off cleanly, by soaking or sanding.
Yes, it's expensive (why?!)

In the linked page though, the "blue tape" they refer to appears to be
real veneer tape, only blue - judging by how they remove it. Is this
right ?

Gary A in KC

Blue tape in the US is a painter's masking tape. Good and supposedly low
release tape for general purposes. Definitely not a good tape for doing
seams in veneering in my opinion.

I use the veneer tape you describe (except mine's brown). Wet it and stick
it. Then scrape and sand to get off when done.

Gary in KC

wrote:

I NEVER use blue tape or masking tape on joints in my vacuum press.

What's "blue tape" ?

Here in the UK it's pressure sensitive tape used for masking when
painting. It's a "low release force", but it's still not something I'd
use for veneer work.

The tape I use for veneer is gummed paper tape, white, with holes in,
and wetted before use. It comes off cleanly, by soaking or sanding.
Yes, it's expensive (why?!)

In the linked page though, the "blue tape" they refer to appears to be
real veneer tape, only blue - judging by how they remove it. Is this
right ?

Darren King

Hi,

In the UK I use a 'blue tape' which is a thin plastic tape made by
Tessa. This is much easier to remove than gummed tape and leaves
absolutely no residue what so ever. It doesn't have the same level of
adhesion though, so if you are making up a large and complicated lay
on I would probably stick (ho ho) to gummed.

When removing gummed tape I normally leave it until it absolutely dry
and then sand it off using a sander with good dust extraction, in my
case a Festool 150mm random orbit sander hooked up to a vacuum
cleaner. The danger with removing the tape wet is that the gum gets
pushed down onto the grain and then you will never get it out.

Cheers

Darren