Gary A in KC

I use a vacuum press for my veneering. When I first pull panels out of the
vacuum bag there is still a good amount of moisture on the panels and the
tape is still fairly wet. I try and scrape as much of the tape off as I can
at that point. Still, there's always a fair amount left. My easiest method
has always been to let the panels dry overnight so the remaining tape is dry
(almost brittle) and then it comes off with a little easy sanding with 150
or 220 grit on my ROS. I always go over my veneer panels this way anyway -
just a little careful work around the taped edges and it works fine and
quickly.

I NEVER use blue tape or masking tape on joints in my vacuum press. Too much
adhesive power. I use it to hold the corners of the veneer down to keep it
from curling up until I have my platen ready for the bag. My experience is
the blue tape can be very tough to get off the veneer and will often take
chunks of veneer with it. If I keep it in the corners (usually a waste area)
I'm pretty safe.

My 2 cents. Gary in KC

"Mitch" wrote in message
oups.com...
My first veneer project.

I veneered a panel with bookmatched veneer. I joined the seam between
the two bookmatched "leaves" together with gummed veneer tape. Put it
in a press for a few hours. unitl the glue cured.

Once out of the press, how do I get the veneer tape off?

I've tried a scraper, but it still took a lot of pressure and repeated
scrapings. And its still not all off. I have a lot of doors to do this
way, so I'm looking for some labor saving secret.

I tried moistening the tape. This helped but the glue seemed to be left
on the surface.

If there's no easy way to get it off, could I avoid this problem and
use masking tape?

Mitch.