Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Another small deck

Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.
john
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 4/6/2013 8:44 AM, jloomis wrote:
Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.

Like Leon said, it looks more like fine furniture.

How's the Klutch hoding up? Been thinking about getting one for job site
use and leaving the Makita in the shop.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The Hitachi......is wonderful.
I love it.
I had Makita, and finally wimped out, and bought 2 saws...The 15 " Chop
Hitachi, and this compound miter.
Only thing is remembering to move the fence out of the way for miter.
It can be hazardous.
john

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 4/6/2013 8:44 AM, jloomis wrote:
Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.

Like Leon said, it looks more like fine furniture.

How's the Klutch hoding up? Been thinking about getting one for job site
use and leaving the Makita in the shop.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in :

Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.
john

I noticed you used whole 4x4s for the railing supports. How much strength
does it add? Our deck uses 4x4s with half-laps cut out of the bottom, and
while carriage bolted through, there is a little give.

On a related note, we're going to have to redo the railings. The rails
that hold the lattice have started to rot away. I'm not a fan of the
lattice and would like to avoid the "prision bar" look for most traditional
rail systems. Any ideas for something different that won't break the bank?
Out of the various options I saw at Menards, I liked the wire best.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I do not like the bulky look of the 4x4 but it is strong.
When a 4x4 is cut to fit, like you stated , they are actually weaker.
On a 2nd story deck it could be hazardous, if not even on a deck say above
30".
So, I use the full 4x4 for safety reason.

I do not like lattice since they use a lo grade redwood for the lattice
panel.
Usually sap wood and some redwood.
I would rather use a 1x2 or such.
I have many deck railings on my web page.
jloomisconstruction.com
I like the use of the tension wire now.
We are working on an upcoming 2nd story deck with Tension Wire although it
is costly.
Stainless wire, with tensioners.
Also you need a top metal stiffener buried under the top cap to keep the
tension tight on the wire without, pulling on the posts.

I have seen some nice wire mesh used that is galvanized and cheaper!
I like it a lot.
Like cement wire....6 6 10 10
Or "hog wire"
I think it would work well.
A fellow used it on a deck, and I really like the feeling.
It had large square wire mesh...not small.
Copper Pipes? (expensive but nice)
Glass panels? (need washing and lots of support)
your guess is as good as mine.
john

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

"jloomis" wrote in :

Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.
john

I noticed you used whole 4x4s for the railing supports. How much strength
does it add? Our deck uses 4x4s with half-laps cut out of the bottom, and
while carriage bolted through, there is a little give.

On a related note, we're going to have to redo the railings. The rails
that hold the lattice have started to rot away. I'm not a fan of the
lattice and would like to avoid the "prision bar" look for most traditional
rail systems. Any ideas for something different that won't break the bank?
Out of the various options I saw at Menards, I liked the wire best.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

"jloomis" wrote in
:

Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.
john

I noticed you used whole 4x4s for the railing supports. How much
strength does it add? Our deck uses 4x4s with half-laps cut out of
the bottom, and while carriage bolted through, there is a little give.

On a related note, we're going to have to redo the railings. The
rails that hold the lattice have started to rot away. I'm not a fan
of the lattice and would like to avoid the "prision bar" look for most
traditional rail systems. Any ideas for something different that
won't break the bank? Out of the various options I saw at Menards, I
liked the wire best.

Puckdropper

I used 4x4 mesh wire between 2x4 horizontals and 4x4 verticals on my old
deck built 25 years ago or so. When I sold the house, it wasn't
considered safe enough of a railing. I went back to the house and put on
vertical "banisters" of 1.5x1.5" (or close to that) under the top railing
and against the deck horizontal support (45° cut). That was acceptable.
I don't think the deck is there anymore, according to a google view of 5
1/2 years ago ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article om,

"jloomis" wrote in :

Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.
john

I noticed you used whole 4x4s for the railing supports. How much strength
does it add? Our deck uses 4x4s with half-laps cut out of the bottom, and
while carriage bolted through, there is a little give.

On a related note, we're going to have to redo the railings. The rails
that hold the lattice have started to rot away. I'm not a fan of the
lattice and would like to avoid the "prision bar" look for most traditional
rail systems. Any ideas for something different that won't break the bank?
Out of the various options I saw at Menards, I liked the wire best.

Puckdropper

I have a Sunrise pattern I do with the 2x2s between the deck posts. Best
done in 30 inch sections, starting with a vertical in the middle and
then fanning out to the ends - I put the base of the next two tight to
the vertical and then put the tops 2 inches over, and continue to play
with the angle as I go.

sort of - but not exactly like:

http://charlotte.archadeck.com/pickY...-options/mi-22
261/wood-deck-with-fan-pergola-and-sunburst-rail-pattern.html