Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Another small deck

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

"jloomis" wrote in
:

Almost finished.
Clients wanted small deck with bench using Trex.
john

I noticed you used whole 4x4s for the railing supports. How much
strength does it add? Our deck uses 4x4s with half-laps cut out of
the bottom, and while carriage bolted through, there is a little give.

On a related note, we're going to have to redo the railings. The
rails that hold the lattice have started to rot away. I'm not a fan
of the lattice and would like to avoid the "prision bar" look for most
traditional rail systems. Any ideas for something different that
won't break the bank? Out of the various options I saw at Menards, I
liked the wire best.

Puckdropper

I used 4x4 mesh wire between 2x4 horizontals and 4x4 verticals on my old
deck built 25 years ago or so. When I sold the house, it wasn't
considered safe enough of a railing. I went back to the house and put on
vertical "banisters" of 1.5x1.5" (or close to that) under the top railing
and against the deck horizontal support (45° cut). That was acceptable.
I don't think the deck is there anymore, according to a google view of 5
1/2 years ago ...

--
Best regards
Han