Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default question about banding

Using maple-veneered plywood I will have a bottom board and an upright
board. I was thinking of using a loose-tenon reinforced joint with a
rabbet in the bottom board. But then I will have about half of the
thickness of the plywood edge showing on the left side of the bottom board.
I was planning on using 1/4" thick maple banding for the plywood edges, but
removing a 1/4" inch from the rabbet edge (in red in the drawing) seems
like it would weaken the joint. Maybe I should use iron-on veneer here?

Opinions, please?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
Using maple-veneered plywood I will have a bottom board and an upright
board. I was thinking of using a loose-tenon reinforced joint with a
rabbet in the bottom board. But then I will have about half of the
thickness of the plywood edge showing on the left side of the bottom
board.
I was planning on using 1/4" thick maple banding for the plywood edges,
but
removing a 1/4" inch from the rabbet edge (in red in the drawing) seems
like it would weaken the joint. Maybe I should use iron-on veneer here?

Opinions, please?

Yeah, you dont want to remove 1/4" for the banding. And the problem with
veneer is that you have to remove just the exact right amount on the pywood
so that the veneer is not short or broud of the mating surface.

I suggest you put the rabbet on the bottoms of the sides instead of the
bottom piece, then you will not have to deal with the exposed plywood edge
at all. Cut the rabbet a hair long and sand smooth with the bottom of the
bottom.

Oops, what Swingman said!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Leon!
Thanks for your answer. As I said, I must have had a senior moment not
to see that way

--
Best regards
Han

question about banding Han Woodworking 11 April 9th 11 03:05 AM
Banding on bowls Tom Dougall Woodturning 5 May 6th 08 02:48 PM
Edge banding Dick Snyder Woodworking 2 November 2nd 07 03:01 PM
edge banding? Lee Woodworking 2 March 29th 07 07:01 AM
Edge banding question Woodworking 0 August 11th 03 02:47 PM